Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 05:15   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Alpicool 12v fridges

I have a Hunter H26 that we use for weekend cruises. One of the many small innovations it has, is a well in the galley countertop for a standard-size picnic cooler in place of the icebox usually used on boats this size. On its own this is a handy thing on a weekend boat, you can bring a cooler of food and ice and load it in place rather than transferring food to an icebox and leaving the cooler in the car, easier to keep clean, etc.

I decided to get one of the cooler-sized 12v refrigerators. Asking around and reading reviews, the thermoelectric ones don't cool suffiicently. Dometic is the gold standard for compressor ones, and they're expensive, around $600. Generic copies sell on Amazon for half that.

We got one of the generic copies, an Alpicool CF35, for $300. Best $300 we ever spent on the boat. Quiet, cools well, compressor runs about 25% of the time and draws 3 amps. No ice, no meltwater, food keeps longer, we can leave food on the boat during the week. It fits in the cooler well and there is enough airflow since the well is open on one end.

We've sailed hard with it and haven't had any problems related to heel angle.

They can be set to operate as a fridge or freezer by changing the thermostat setting. We haven't tried running it as a freezer. They also run on 24v without modification.

I replaced the cigarette lighter connector with a powerpole, more reliable, and that's what we use on the boat and for 12v generally.

I think anyone who is looking for a better alternative than ice should strongly consider these.

I also think anyone with a larger, older boat, facing a costly refrigeration refit that may not make economic sense, should be considering these as an alternative. There are larger sizes available for essentially the same price -- we bought what fits our space.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:38   #2

Re: Alpicool 12v fridges

Sad they're made in china.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Alpicool 12v fridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I have a Hunter H26 that we use for weekend cruises. One of the many small innovations it has, is a well in the galley countertop for a standard-size picnic cooler in place of the icebox usually used on boats this size. On its own this is a handy thing on a weekend boat, you can bring a cooler of food and ice and load it in place rather than transferring food to an icebox and leaving the cooler in the car, easier to keep clean, etc.

I decided to get one of the cooler-sized 12v refrigerators. Asking around and reading reviews, the thermoelectric ones don't cool suffiicently. Dometic is the gold standard for compressor ones, and they're expensive, around $600. Generic copies sell on Amazon for half that.

We got one of the generic copies, an Alpicool CF35, for $300. Best $300 we ever spent on the boat. Quiet, cools well, compressor runs about 25% of the time and draws 3 amps. No ice, no meltwater, food keeps longer, we can leave food on the boat during the week. It fits in the cooler well and there is enough airflow since the well is open on one end.

We've sailed hard with it and haven't had any problems related to heel angle.

They can be set to operate as a fridge or freezer by changing the thermostat setting. We haven't tried running it as a freezer. They also run on 24v without modification.

I replaced the cigarette lighter connector with a powerpole, more reliable, and that's what we use on the boat and for 12v generally.

I think anyone who is looking for a better alternative than ice should strongly consider these.

I also think anyone with a larger, older boat, facing a costly refrigeration refit that may not make economic sense, should be considering these as an alternative. There are larger sizes available for essentially the same price -- we bought what fits our space.
i have similar and find that when using it as a freezer ,and as the cooling plate is at one end, stuff stays frozen at that end but not the other end so well.

adding some thermal board and bubble wrap inside helped a bit to keep frozen veg fully frozen,meat i keep right up against the freezer plate and stays fully frozen.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote