Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 15:50   #1

Alternatives to Rogue Wave for WiFi

We hired Just Catamarans to add solar panels to our catamaran. As part of this project, they built a solar arch and moved all the antennas to the back of the arch. Since this work was done, we've had quite a few issues. The XM antenna run was damaged during the move - so we had to pay them to fix it and run a new cable. Also, the Rouge Wave antenna was damaged, now the CAT5 cable doesn't seat properly in the antenna (and keeps slipping out). Just Catamarans attempted to fix the antenna by pushing the little tabs in a bit, but that only lasted a few days.

So, now I am trying to figure out my options and thought I'd see if someone can recommend an alternative to Rogue Wave. Their antennas/devices are expensive; around $600.

Right now we have a Cradle Point router in the cockpit, with a PoE power injector for the Rogue Wave, connected to the Rouge Wave antenna with a Cat5 cable.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?
Old 07-01-2019, 17:14   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Alternatives to Rogue Wave for WiFi

We have and love our Redport Halo. It comes with a router. When assembling I filled the whole base with silicone after attaching the Ethernet cable. No issues. Took an hour to install and has not skipped a beat.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 17:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
We have and love our Redport Halo. It comes with a router. When assembling I filled the whole base with silicone after attaching the Ethernet cable. No issues. Took an hour to install and has not skipped a beat.
Fantastic, thank you very much.

It looks like the RedPort Halo may be a one-to-one replacement. It seems like their "router" is also the power injector of POE. If we had to run a new cable from the salon to the antenna farm, I'd probably choose to replace the Rogue Wave WiFi antenna with another one -- because running that cable is a PROJECT.

I reached out to them, let's see what they have to say.
Old 07-01-2019, 18:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
Fantastic, thank you very much.

It looks like the RedPort Halo may be a one-to-one replacement. It seems like their "router" is also the power injector of POE. If we had to run a new cable from the salon to the antenna farm, I'd probably choose to replace the Rogue Wave WiFi antenna with another one -- because running that cable is a PROJECT.

I reached out to them, let's see what they have to say.

I will admit to not being an expert but the Halo is good. The router seems a little toyish and not robustly constructed but it works. It does supply power to the antenna. It does not come with the 12v adapter but if you are handy you can figure it out to wire into your batteries with some wire cutting. We used the 120v plug on the inverter before I did that and it was a pain that you had to reconnect using the phone app after turning off shore power. Small glitch. Overall very satisfied. Turned barely useable connections into Netflix Wonderland's.
Old 07-01-2019, 19:18   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

My experience with wifi extenders isn't great, but from what I've experienced, most restaurants and coffee houses that you are trying to connect to have limited their signal and speed so much that it hardly makes sense to worry about it. It's pretty cheap to just get a wifi hotspot and use that.
Old 07-01-2019, 19:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
My experience with wifi extenders isn't great, but from what I've experienced, most restaurants and coffee houses that you are trying to connect to have limited their signal and speed so much that it hardly makes sense to worry about it. It's pretty cheap to just get a wifi hotspot and use that.

That is true but we have had good luck on occasion and when you do a stay in a marina with wifi it makes a big difference.
Old 07-01-2019, 20:13   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I didn't think about Marinas. That would make sense, but not $600 worth of sense. We had one when we bought Palarran and it never worked so I just tore it out. I tried the cheaper ones and kept getting malware loaded on my computer.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:37   #8

I don't understand why you're not making Just Catamarans fix all the problems they created. Based on your post it sounds like they created the problems you're having. Or am I missing something?
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:45   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
I don't understand why you're not making Just Catamarans fix all the problems they created. Based on your post it sounds like they created the problems you're having. Or am I missing something?
Exactly! Just Catamarans needs to take responsibility for their work. This is not the first I've heard of issues with this company, they installed a new generator on a friend's cat and he's had nothing but issues with it ever since. They are building a rather dubious reputation...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:50   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
We hired Just Catamarans to add solar panels to our catamaran. As part of this project, they built a solar arch and moved all the antennas to the back of the arch. Since this work was done, we've had quite a few issues. The XM antenna run was damaged during the move - so we had to pay them to fix it and run a new cable. Also, the Rouge Wave antenna was damaged, now the CAT5 cable doesn't seat properly in the antenna (and keeps slipping out). Just Catamarans attempted to fix the antenna by pushing the little tabs in a bit, but that only lasted a few days.

So, now I am trying to figure out my options and thought I'd see if someone can recommend an alternative to Rogue Wave. Their antennas/devices are expensive; around $600.

Right now we have a Cradle Point router in the cockpit, with a PoE power injector for the Rogue Wave, connected to the Rouge Wave antenna with a Cat5 cable.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?
Sounds like your problems are not with the Rogue Wave unit itself, but rather with Just Catamarans. You're probably in the Fort Lauderdale area since you worked with JC - Rogue Wave is just up the road a few miles in Oakland Park. Why not see if they can help you, without needing to replace the antenna.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:28   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Two things seen, but I could be wrong, in your original:
The ethernet cable won't stay put, but moving the clip out a bit helps, but then it falls out
and
The adapter and antenna seem ok, cuz they work when the ethernet cable is in.

Assuming no other issues, the simple fix is to put on a new RJ45 end; about a 20 minute job your first time, and for one who makes up cables, about 2 minutes.

I have had to do that on N>1 occasions for my system, which is featured in Island Time PC's web page (Flying Pig WiFi). I finally got it to quit by running a new, external grade cat5, and using heat shrink on the connection to minimize movement. You SHOULD have enough slack to provide a drip loop, and the remake will take all of an inch or so of that length.

However, if you want to replace the rogue wave, Bob Stewart at Islandtimepc.com is definitely the way to go.

I have a garden variety Linksys router; any will do, but everything other than a couple of plug-ins (vac, soldering iron, defrosting fan, heat gun, e.g.) is boat voltage; the linksys will take house voltage as will Bob's computer I had him build for me, as well as the WiFi adapter. I use a buck-boost filter for my 4 external 12V HDD, however!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:31   #12

From your post sounds like you simply need the connector vs an antenna. Call them.
I use a bad boy WiFi from Canada. It uses a cat cable to antenna. Easy to splice etc.
only issue is it can be interference to the fm radio.

Solar panel interference now. If only that changed from previous then get a good radio man to isolate the noise. Sounds like a dirty inverter or bad ground.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
That was our take on the situation as well, but we are tired of fighting and following up with Just Catamarans. This was their reply regarding the XM antenna... Yes the cable was damaged while relocating the antenna. This damage can happen and is not a mistake by a technician, but a potential hazard of the job that is billable to the client. ... so we don't think there is a point to bring up the WiFi extender with them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Exactly! Just Catamarans needs to take responsibility for their work. This is not the first I've heard of issues with this company, they installed a new generator on a friend's cat and he's had nothing but issues with it ever since. They are building a rather dubious reputation...
Oh... let's hope that the work that Just Catamarans did on our catamaran isn't going to come back to haunt us. The way that Just Catamarans replied to our question about the damaged XM cable (see above) did not lead us to believe they would step-up when it comes to the Rouge Wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Sounds like your problems are not with the Rogue Wave unit itself, but rather with Just Catamarans. You're probably in the Fort Lauderdale area since you worked with JC - Rogue Wave is just up the road a few miles in Oakland Park. Why not see if they can help you, without needing to replace the antenna.
Thank you. I did reach out to Rouge Wave. It looks like the repair will would be $250 - $300. I'm not sure it's worth to invest that kind of money in something that isn't new. I believe they are ~$600 new.

Tags
rogue wave, wifi