Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2019, 16:09   #16

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Alternator belt Slippage

Dont know if removing a batt. will reduce loading but what i do know is this; the first symptom of a worn out fanbelt is screeching; second is it breaks. My alt. drive belt started making noise awhile ago, tried tightening it, no good, replaced it (bought 2 new belts, always keep a spare, possibly the dumbest, cheapest reason to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without an engine); noise stopped, no further problem.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 23:21   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A possible cure that will offend the purists: use some spray on "belt grip" compound. This stuff is a tacky, sticky spray, applied to the running belt, that will significantly increase the power transmission capability of a v belt. It solved a perennial squealing and slipping problem we had in our previous boat where we were driving a Lestec 150 amp alternator with a tiny diameter pulley and a single half inch v belt (Gates greenie).

Not very sophisticated, but quite inexpensive and... it worked for me!

Jim
Old 17-07-2019, 23:44   #18

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Make sure the belt is not bottoming out in any one of the pulleys. No need to assume it’s the alternator that is squealing, if one of the other pulleys are allowing the belt to reach the land at the bottom of the V, it will squeal.

Also as someone else noted, the belt in your pic is too long or worn out. No way you can get tension on a belt when at the end of the travel on the adjustment arm. And the belt doesn’t need to be bar-tight either.

There is no way that a fit belt correctly adjusted will squeal turning a 100A alternator. I have a standard A section belt driving 180A when the house bank is down - no squeal.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 02:35   #19
Marine Service Provider

If either pulley crankshaft or alternator does not have belt contact of 120 degrees or more belt will slip. This is sometimes the case on Yanmar engines where water pumps and alternator are driven off the same belt. Solution if belt contact is not enough is to lower the bulk charge voltage.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 07:40   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Bulk (CC) stage it's the battery that controls voltage anyway, it's the Absorb setpoint that gets held by the VR possibly for hours once the CV setpoint is reached.

OP does not even know if VR is adjustable, nor if it drops output to a lower Float voltage.

Voltage setpoint needs to match the needs of the battery anyway, if there's no DCDC charger in between.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:40   #21

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I think we're over thinking this a bit. The alternator in the photo appears to be a lower amperage Hitachi based on the size of the stator stack visible between the DE case and SRE case. It's not squealing because it's being overdriven, the squeal is because the belt is too long/wrong size/glazed or all of the above.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 14:53   #22

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I think we're over thinking this a bit. The alternator in the photo appears to be a lower amperage Hitachi based on the size of the stator stack visible between the DE case and SRE case. It's not squealing because it's being overdriven, the squeal is because the belt is too long/wrong size/glazed or all of the above.
I agree. Renew the belt, adjust correctly, come back to this thread if that doesn’t work
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 15:22   #23

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A possible cure that will offend the purists: use some spray on "belt grip" compound. This stuff is a tacky, sticky spray, applied to the running belt, that will significantly increase the power transmission capability of a v belt. It solved a perennial squealing and slipping problem we had in our previous boat where we were driving a Lestec 150 amp alternator with a tiny diameter pulley and a single half inch v belt (Gates greenie).

Jim
...and if you spray the belt and the noise does not go away, it may not be the belt that is squealing. ...something else?

Like starting fluid (ether), belt dressing is useful for diagnosing problems.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 15:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Yes I have external regulator.. not sure it is adjustable yet.
my question is mostly
IF I disconnect batteries does it change the Alternator Load? maybe just battery switch from 1 or 2 instead of Both.

If this sentence "...IF I disconnect batteries does it change the Alternator Load?" is taken literally, do NOT disconnect the alternator output from the batteries IF the alternator is (still??? - in your case, perhaps) connected to a regulator. You will blow the diodes because the regulator is telling the alternator to produce and there's nowhere for that power to go.

Is that germane to your situation?

Disconnect from the regulator and you won't have to remove the AO from the batteries.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 18:25   #25

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Jim,

My father, an inventor, had a gooey stick which he called "belt dressing" which he used for years on many different kinds of belts. It works. - Perhaps I should try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 18:58   #26

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I am running a 115A Alt with single green stripe on 464 Ahr bank.
Doesn't squeal at >100A, which sometimes take 5min-ish at constant voltage
diminishing current. Larger pulley on alt, carefully chosen to match correct belt
position. Forced air in middle of summer needed tho to stop smartcharger from ramping down. Custom tensioner of my own fabrication. 3GM30F. 3min change over.
Belts only last 50-100hrs tho as they are overloaded.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 19:53   #27
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, conservative rule of thumb, go to multi-vee after 75-90A actual loads @12V nominal

100+ is a stretch
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 20:36   #28

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
So jubilee. I can adjust the regulator down so the altternator request lower output?
Balmar regulators have, for many years, a "belt" adjustment which reduces the load so the belt can handle it. Operation Manuals | Balmar

BTW, we use a single belt with our Balmar 110amp alternator, have for many years, no problem. Make sure the belt is size correctly, the pulleys are aligned, and tension is correct.
Old 18-07-2019, 20:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes, conservative rule of thumb, go to multi-vee after 75-90A actual loads @12V nominal

100+ is a stretch

Just call me Stretch then.

100A Balmar MC-612 400 ah house bank see 50A output on 50% SOC bank, 3/8" belt single, properly tensioned.

In fact a larger alternator is preferable as long as you know what the output will be based on your battery bank's acceptance at a reasonable level of discharge, say 50%. Bigger alternator for the same load works less hard. Of course, within limits. But these are reasonable, tested in the real world equipment combinations, all done without serpentine belts, and they work.

And with an external regulator you can both dial it down with amp manager or SEM (small engine mode).

This is the reality of simply employing appropriate hardware. Many do.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 20:49   #30

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
100A Balmar MC-612 400 ah house bank see 50A output on 50% SOC bank, 3/8" belt single, properly tensioned.
Ooh! I like that answer.

In our case:
110A Balmar ARS-5 450 ah house bank see 100A output on 50% SOC bank, 3/8" belt single, properly tensioned, no squeal.

OP, your belt is too loose, in my opinion.

Tags
alternator