Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2022, 14:57   #106

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: Alternator choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
What alternators have people found aftermarket in the Hitachi style mount alternators that are good bang for the buck?
In the past, I've used this alternator as a Hitachi replacement with good success. https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...4jh3-6ly2.html

It's a Delco 10SI clone with Hitachi style case. It comes with a 94A stator which is not over wound for the small case. It's useable as shipped and the voltage regulator has a Vset of 14.6v.

But there are 14g 105A stators that have better low rpm output that you can replace easily. Swap out the existing bridge rectifier with a 210A model and add a dummy regulator for using an external regulator and you've got a good replacement. All in with alternator, new stator, dummy regulator and 210A rectifier you are under $200USD. And Delco 10SI alternators are very easy to work on, simple tools and no soldering.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 18:24   #107

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
What alternators have people found aftermarket in the Hitachi style mount alternators that are good bang for the buck?

You want good value?

If Kenbo says a (something)-SI alt. will fit on the same bracket as a Hitachi, then my favourite Delco-Remy CS144 will also likely do that, having a 2" mounting foot on it. It comes with several mounting patterns for tensioning. But check for space as the CS144 is about 1/2" physically larger in each direction. This reflects the larger and more efficient fan and bigger ventilation spacing inside the alt. to move the heat out of it. This was the replacement for the CS-130 series that tended to have overheating issues.

I have written here about it before. In summary:

- very reliable - used on ambulances, fire trucks and expensive cars like Cadillac cars in about 1985-2005 years. Don't worry about the age.
- very inexpensive to buy used at auto wreckers - $30-$80 in Canada/US. Probably world-wide use.
- very inexpensive and widely available parts, often generic bearings etc.
- very easy to work on and upgrade. Often shops will upgrade them to literally hundreds of amps in the same frame.
- when de-rated for continuous marine use the standard 144 model will still put out 100 amps all day long.
- be aware that typically around 80 to 100 amps output you will start looking at either installing a double V-belt or better still a serpentine belt or you will wear the single belt out faster leaving rubber dust in the area.
- above all make sure the alt RPM is high so it pulls enough air through the alt to cool it. The serpentine belt can turn a smaller diameter pulley aiding in this higher speed. Don't ask any alt to put out high amps at low alt speed. The biggest killer of alts, by far, is heat.

Cheers, RR.
Old 05-01-2022, 19:58   #108

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

I bought a Mark Grasser 140A with a Balmar serpentine kit through MaineSail in 2017. Mounted it on my Yanmar 4JH2-TE (which originally came with an Hitachi alternator). It has been a fantastic piece of equipment over 15,000 miles of cruising. I know Mark's line has changed somewhat and he now supplies serpentine kits. Prices are higher than when I purchased, but I think worth it.

And I LOVE the serpentine belt. I can't believe how much cleaner the engine room is!

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 06-01-2022, 08:03   #109

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
You want good value?

If Kenbo says a (something)-SI alt. will fit on the same bracket as a Hitachi, then my favourite Delco-Remy CS144 will also likely do that, having a 2" mounting foot on it. It comes with several mounting patterns for tensioning. But check for space as the CS144 is about 1/2" physically larger in each direction. This reflects the larger and more efficient fan and bigger ventilation spacing inside the alt. to move the heat out of it. This was the replacement for the CS-130 series that tended to have overheating issues.

I have written here about it before. In summary:

- very reliable - used on ambulances, fire trucks and expensive cars like Cadillac cars in about 1985-2005 years. Don't worry about the age.
- very inexpensive to buy used at auto wreckers - $30-$80 in Canada/US. Probably world-wide use.
- very inexpensive and widely available parts, often generic bearings etc.
- very easy to work on and upgrade. Often shops will upgrade them to literally hundreds of amps in the same frame.
- when de-rated for continuous marine use the standard 144 model will still put out 100 amps all day long.
- be aware that typically around 80 to 100 amps output you will start looking at either installing a double V-belt or better still a serpentine belt or you will wear the single belt out faster leaving rubber dust in the area.
- above all make sure the alt RPM is high so it pulls enough air through the alt to cool it. The serpentine belt can turn a smaller diameter pulley aiding in this higher speed. Don't ask any alt to put out high amps at low alt speed. The biggest killer of alts, by far, is heat.

Cheers, RR.
RR,

The CS144 is a more advanced alternator than the 10SI but the problem is it won't fit the 80mm saddle mount that Hitachi's require. The 10SI I directed Cowpoo to review comes with the 80mm saddle mount. There are very few inexpensive alternatives for the Hitachi alternator and this one with the mods I recommended is, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator