Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 16:28   #106

Re: Alternator does not Fully Charge the Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
I need help please, with the numbers. I've followed these threads until my eyes cross. I have a 300A AGM house bank, a 60A Balmar alt (largest that will fit), ARS-5 regulator, a link lite monitor, and 5-6 hours of motoring doesn't replace the 25-30 amps I used overnight. I know my usage is high (portable freezer) I also have solar and wind charging, but travelling the ICW doesn't use them.
The lit for the regulator says the max bulk volts is 14.4, and the max absorption is 14.7, and the batteries never get the least bit warm, as I check frequently with a handheld IR scanner.
I've played around with some of the settings of the ARS-5, but I'm really shooting in the dark here.
Many thanks!
Larry
Clean your cable connections at the batteries... possible they just have that "wet" corrosion layer on them. BTW: AFAIK a 100 amp alternator frame is the same size as your 60 amp.... unless Balmar has changed them...
How many things are running and drawing how many amps while you motor? fridge, radar, autopilot etc could add up. I imagine a 60 amp alternator puts out maybe 55 amps for a short time, but eventually it's gong to back off a lot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 17:01   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
I need help please, with the numbers. I've followed these threads until my eyes cross. I have a 300A AGM house bank, a 60A Balmar alt (largest that will fit), ARS-5 regulator, a link lite monitor, and 5-6 hours of motoring doesn't replace the 25-30 amps I used overnight. I know my usage is high (portable freezer) I also have solar and wind charging, but travelling the ICW doesn't use them.
The lit for the regulator says the max bulk volts is 14.4, and the max absorption is 14.7, and the batteries never get the least bit warm, as I check frequently with a handheld IR scanner.
I've played around with some of the settings of the ARS-5, but I'm really shooting in the dark here.
Many thanks!
Larry
- How do you know you are not replacing the amps used?
- How do you know the wind and solar is "not used"

Are you simply basing your observation on volts?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 17:02   #108

Boat: center console

Yes, the early output is usually in the 40 amp range, and I do crank up the reefer & freezer to put cold in the bank as well as the autopilot doing it's crazy ivans.. The default settings for AGM is 14.38V @ 18 minutes for bulk, and 14.18 @ 18 minutes for absorption.
I would like to think I can increase the volts and duration of both phases to put more back in the battery bank.
Thanks,
Larry
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 17:04   #109

Boat: center console

I do see some charging from solar and wind, as the link lite shows, but I never get back anywhere near the 100% (300Ah) I started with.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator