Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2023, 11:07   #1

Boat: Sabre 402 - 40.2 ft
Alternator IDEAL regulator operation

I have a Balmar 100 amp alternator controlled by an IDEAL regulator and Link 2000R battery monitoring system.

Recently, the 10 amp fuse blew for the +12Vdc power source to the alternator field current. Now, after replacing the 10amp fuse, the IDEAL regulator is charging the batteries at 15Vdc instead of the required 14.4Vdc. Also, the CHG red light on the IDEAL regulator is blinking during charging, instead of a steady solid bright light.

I need to know what the blinking light on the IDEAL regulator means, and what could have caused the 10amp fuse to blow. Do I have a regulator problem or an alternator problem, or both? The batteries are being charged, but the displayed current is unusually high at around 10 - 15 amps during Acceptance phase. I have 2 banks of 2 Group 31XT each, 8 seasons old, which I will replace with new, but not before I can resolve the excessive charging situation.

Blue Moon - Sabre 402
Dennis McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 11:10   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Alternator IDEAL regulator operation

Do you have any links to the regulator specs/manual?

Very likely you have an issue with the regulator not the alternator. It is the job of the regulator to control (regulate) the voltage output and that is not happening correctly. I would not charge batteries with a blown regulator though you can very easily damage the batteries as well leading to more cost.

How old is the regulator?
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 11:36   #3

Regulator is original with the boat, 1999.

Also, before this failure of the fuse, I had not realized that on/off power to the regulator is controlled by the ignition key. This key is easily bumped in the helm and can be inadvertantly turned off while the engine is running. Might this have contributed to my problems?
Old 19-06-2023, 12:36   #4

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Not familiar with Ideal brand regulators. If vendor still in business, contacting Ideal Tech Support would be first suggestion. If not, then give Balmar Tech Support a call since you have the Balmar Alternator. I’ve called them several times. They’ve always been helpful. My best guess though is that a new Balmar regulator is in your future.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 12:39   #5

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McKay View Post
Regulator is original with the boat, 1999.

Also, before this failure of the fuse, I had not realized that on/off power to the regulator is controlled by the ignition key. This key is easily bumped in the helm and can be inadvertantly turned off while the engine is running. Might this have contributed to my problems?
Yeah most likely the regulator has just failed and can no longer properly regulate the voltage. Unless you can find a service manual given it is 23 years old and likely not made anymore not sure what other steps you can take.

The switch turning off probably did not cause a problem. When regulator loses power the field current is zero which means there is no risk to the alternator it will be spinning but not producing any power.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 04:12   #6

Just purchased a used regulator on eBay that is supposed to be fully functional. Will install this weekend.

Would like to hear from anyone who is knowledgeable of the IDEAL regulator by Heart Interface. What does the blinking red CHG light mean when the engine is running and the regulator is powered up? The manual only mentions that this light grows brighter as the field current increases (and alternator output increases) but no mention of a blinking light.

Blue Moon
Old 20-06-2023, 06:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The LINK 2000-R is an integrated battery monitor, inverter/charger
controller, and advanced alternator regulator.

RED LED FLASH: EQUALIZE CYCLE [page 5]
Flashes Red LED when charger/alternator is in EQUALIZE Cycle.

OWNERS MANUAL
LINK 2000-R IDEAL REGULATOR OPTION
https://www.cruisingequipment.com/pr.../Link2000r.pdf

LINK 2000-R OWNERS MANUALhttps://xantrex.com/library/disconti...-owners-guide/

LINK 2000 OWNERS MANUALhttps://xantrex.com/library/disconti...-owners-guide/

FWIW: CF member "Rick" was a partner in 'Cruising Equipment'*, and used to post here. I haven't seen him post, in a few years, though.
Rick ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums.../rick-984.html

* Cruising Equipment' sold out to Heart Interface, who sold to Xantrex.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator