Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 07:17   #46

Re: Alternator -- New or Rebuild?

Question... I have been following this thread from the start, I have seen references to using truck, or bus alternator. I have been under the assumption that these kinds of engine parts as suppose to be marine parts?
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:03   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dan-
Ah, China. Chinese Shenzhen Special Alternator Company? Or an established brand name?

mramoo-
Truck and bus parts are not marine parts in any way. But the alternators are usually designed to handle large loads for long periods (like refrigeration or bus heaters and air conditioners) and the starters also designed for heavy duty. So they are "heavy duty" compared to passenger car applications, but not marinized in any way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:05   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I have what is probably a dumb question. What is marinized with alternators, the price?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:36   #49

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I have what is probably a dumb question. What is marinized with alternators, the price?
In the case of a Balmar, you get a spiffy powder coat paint job. The cheap Delco I have is ignition protected, anodized and chromic acid coated.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:00   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
In the case of a Balmar, you get a spiffy powder coat paint job. The cheap Delco I have is ignition protected, anodized and chromic acid coated.
Sounds like yep the "marine" price is the difference. Powder coat might look nice, on a Harley Davidson frame, is it needed on an alternator? The housing isn't what goes bad.
Old 22-08-2015, 09:15   #51

Quote:
Sounds like yep the "marine" price is the difference. Powder coat might look nice, on a Harley Davidson frame, is it needed on an alternator? The housing isn't what goes bad.
It's better than that. The housing doesn't corrode and look like junk in a few years. Inside they have better windings etc. It's not just an off the shelf Prestolite.
Old 22-08-2015, 09:28   #52

Quote:
It's better than that. The housing doesn't corrode and look like junk in a few years. Inside they have better windings etc. It's not just an off the shelf Prestolite.
I'll cede to your comment on windings. I don't know, you seem to. A housing corroding I have never had that to the point of past looking gray. Looking like junk?

JMHO
Old 22-08-2015, 09:52   #53

Quote:
I'll cede to your comment on windings. I don't know, you seem to. A housing corroding I have never had that to the point of past looking gray. Looking like junk?

JMHO
Well I have a Balmar and I was told by an overhaul person that it has heavy windings and it puts out more than a stock Prestolite. After 10 years it still looks pretty good and if it were not powdercoated it would look like any other old alternator in a junk pile.
Old 22-08-2015, 09:56   #54

Quote:
Well I have a Balmar and I was told by an overhaul person that it has heavy windings and it puts out more than a stock Prestolite.
Just for clarification, "stock" Prestolite, or "stock" anything is a meaningless comparison, because there is no "stock" Pretsolite. They make a wide variety of alternators.

That said, nothing wrong with noting your particular Balmar may have heavy windings.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:02   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Larger bearings on the front end.

I wonder if there are bootleg Balmar alternators out there?

I know that MaineSail has commented on them. He sells Balmar and Mark Grasser alternators and has written about them on the forum.

I suppose if you love swapping out alternators 1/2 dozen cheap Chinese would do. However one heavy duty alternator dialed back to about 20% under maximum current output should last a long time.

They are kind of like batteries. They often don't die a natural death they are murdered by running them to hot for to long.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:12   #56

Quote:
The Hitachi alternators seem OK. I got my 80 amp when I upgraded to a smart regulator and AGM batteries. It was a secondhand one that had been serviced / cleaned / brushes and bearings after someone else with a larger Yanmar had in turn upgraded their alternator to a larger one. They had traded it with the local Yanmar agents whom I bought it off for NZ$300. I was told that it was something like 1/3 the cost of a new one at the time. It's been going well for me for 13 years so far.

It's a sort of dirty green color. But it lives in a dark place. I built a 12v fan into the engine box blowing onto it and wired to a dedicated cable from the stating key accessory terminal. There is a SS louvre plate for warm air to exit. As the box is removable I have a cable with a plug.

It fitted straight on with the correct pulley alignment and connections. I had it modified for an external regulator and added a 10mm oversize double pulley to decrease the load on the belt/s and increase the belt wrap.

You might also find a similar trade in from marine engineers if you hunt around.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:13   #57

Quote:
Well I have a Balmar and I was told by an overhaul person that it has heavy windings and it puts out more than a stock Prestolite. After 10 years it still looks pretty good and if it were not powdercoated it would look like any other old alternator in a junk pile.
Maybe you have been told correctly. I can't see heavier gauge wire in the same housing but maybe more lacquer on the windings. Maybe as someone pointed out closed race bearings not oil-lites. If that's the case that is probably the difference
Old 22-08-2015, 10:14   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
They are kind of like batteries. They often don't die a natural death they are murdered by running them to hot for to long.
Well said! It sums up things nicely for at least two threads here.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:26   #59

[QUOTE=Stu Jackson;1897299]Just for clarification, "stock" Prestolite, or "stock" anything is a meaningless comparison, because there is no "stock" Pretsolite. They make a wide variety of alternators.

There is the stock Prestolite that Balmar rebuilt, if that is how they do it. We may be painting all Balmars with the same brush. I'm not sure they are all the same. My older Alternator does not look like the new models.
Old 22-08-2015, 12:52   #60

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Supposedly the main thing is that they're ignition protected so they don't cause your boat to explode if there is gas leak if you have a gas engine or a propane/butane/LNG leak if you use those. Starters too.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, rebuild