Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 13:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5 - Be Leaving
Alternator Tach Signal

Hi,
My VDO tach hasn't been the same since I had the alternator (Baldmar 7 series) rebuilt. When the alternator went it may have fried the tach but I didn't think so because the electronics work even though the analog dial does not.
When I crank the engine, the dial goes from 0 to top of range as it performs it's auto test. But after the test, the dial does not move from zero. I pulled all my manuals and everything on the web I could find but found no reference to the issue. I e-mailed the tech department at the company that bought VDO from Seimens but they were not responsive. I checked the continuity from the alternator pickup wire to the tach and it's good. I tried making the adjustments to adjust the tach by inputting the pulse rates and the system took the numbers OK, but the dial still reads zero.
Finally, the question...is there a way to test the alternator at the AC Tap to be sure that it is sending properly?
Thanks
Old 05-08-2009, 15:12   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Best to use a scope, but you should be able to put a multimeter between ground and the tach output of the alternator and read something on the order of 10 volts on the AC volts scale.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 16:17   #3

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
I actually found that calling Balmar helped me the most when we ended up having to deal with alt/tach issues.
Old 05-08-2009, 18:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I second that concerning Balmar tech support.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator