Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 10:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
Alternator Volvo-Penta 2003

My original alternator is 50amps ( VP 2003 - 28hp) - I'm thinking to get a spare one as last summer I got issue and was quite a buz to dismount, find a shop to fix and mount again for a day... this time I just want to have a spare.. but now the question..

Do I need to buy a exact replacement 50amps or a 70amps will be also OK with the existing wiring ? any suggestions ?
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 22:35   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Alternator Volvo-Penta 2003

QUOTE: I need to buy a exact replacement 50amps or a 70amps will be also OK with the existing wiring ? any suggestions ?: QUOTE

I'll leave that to the experts.

Are you sure you can just mount the 70amp alternator on the old mounts and everything will line up?

Is the belt section is ok?

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 22:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
QUOTE: I need to buy a exact replacement 50amps or a 70amps will be also OK with the existing wiring ? any suggestions ?: QUOTE

I'll leave that to the experts.

Are you sure you can just mount the 70amp alternator on the old mounts and everything will line up?

Is the belt section is ok?

Clive

in theory looks OK - this are the two options :

50A : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacemen....c100290.m3507

70A: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lichtmasch....c100290.m3507
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 22:52   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

If you are looking for more output and better charging of your batteries, then look into an externally regulated alternator, or have the new one setup to be externally regulated. Then get a decent regulator, such as a Balmar.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:38   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

VT, if you are just looking for a cost effective solution then a standard 50 amp charger will suffice at reasonable price. You might think about the starter motor too if you going off the beaten track and want to carry spares.

However, the output of the alternator will be governed by the acceptance rate of the battery bank you are charging. Our VP 2003 alternator charges 2 x 110AH batteries plus a small engine start battery. We have never seen anything over 40A from the alternator on the battery monitor and that drops pretty quickly as the batteries come up to full. there is a good article on Mainsails old website which explains this, I just can't find it at the moment.

This seems a good price but you need a pulley fitted ready to go:

https://www.parts4engines.com/volvo-...solated-earth/

I always thought our standard 2003 alternator was 60A btw.

As Paul suggested you can fit an external regulator to increase the voltage, however, it makes changing the alternator more complicated and likely to run the alternator hotter and harder for much if charging a heavily discharged bank. One of the reasons we have kept the alternator standard and use solar for charging instead along with a "keep it simple" approach on board were possible.

https://www.sp-shop.co.uk/Alternators-Regulators/

You might try to find a second hand alternator and these folk may be able to help on our side of the Atlantic:

http://www.marineenterprisesltd.co.uk/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
My original alternator is 50amps ( VP 2003 - 28hp) - I'm thinking to get a spare one as last summer I got issue and was quite a buz to dismount, find a shop to fix and mount again for a day... this time I just want to have a spare.. but now the question..

Do I need to buy a exact replacement 50amps or a 70amps will be also OK with the existing wiring ? any suggestions ?

Maybe I misunderstand you because I think fitting an alternator off another car and expecting it to work is a bit like getting a wheel/tyre off another car and expecting it to fit. Almost certainly it won't

Is the alternator off another Volvo?

I am currently replacing a 12V 35A alternator with a 24V 60A alternator on my Perkins and I'm working like a one armed wall-paper hanger.

I can buy V belt pulleys off the shelf but I am having to get the old pulleys (which fit the crankshaft and water pump) machined to match the new pulleys. It is not easy.

I hope I'm wrong and you can say the mounts on the new alternator are exactly the same as the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	183537  
Old 09-01-2019, 02:29   #7

Well I'm out of my depth here.

My only worry is whether you need a two grooved pulley for 12V 70A. I think it is probably getting a bit borderline but I'll do some research and see what they recommend.

Well now I've looked at this I don't think you'd have any problems with a single groove pulley. But I think you better check with the experts.

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Alternator2.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	183538  
Old 09-01-2019, 02:48   #8

I had a replacement alternator on my VP 2003, but it was shredding belts as the PO had not retained the original pulley.

Found another VP pulley and all is well.

Don’t lose the pulley of you change the alternator..
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 17:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
I had a replacement alternator on my VP 2003, but it was shredding belts as the PO had not retained the original pulley.

Found another VP pulley and all is well.

Don’t lose the pulley of you change the alternator..

I wonder whether the new pulley was exactly the same dimensions anbd lined up perfectly? If it is not it will shed belts.

Belt alignment or, more precisely, pulley alignment, is a principal maintenance activity. When pulleys are not aligned properly, additional loads are induced. The aim of belt alignment is to align the grooves of the drive and driven pulleys so that the belts run with minimal wear (pwemag.co)

Clive

Tags
alternator, penta, volvo