Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 03:29   #1

Alternator Wiring / Battery Isolator

I'm adding a battery isolator. Does my alternator need energising? I can't tell if there is a D+ terminal...

cuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 03:36   #2

Re: Alternator Wiring / Battery Isolator

I added this because the photo wasn't displaying - please ignore...
Old 30-07-2020, 07:17   #3

If you go with a perfect switch battery isolator, they're universal.
jumpshowhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 08:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpshowhigh View Post
If you go with a perfect switch battery isolator, they're universal.
You mean switch between batteries manually? I want the alternator to charge the engine and house batteries at the same time, but without the fear of the house battery draining the engine battery.

I have a Victron isolator. I ran the engine with the alternator attached to the input of the isolator, and put 12V to the energise terminal, but it didn't energise the alternator (ie. no voltage output).

So I wired the alternator back to the engine battery, and now I only see battery voltage at the alternator output (12.6V). Before I tried the isolator I was getting 14V when I revved the engine.

So I wonder if I have damaged the alternator by wiring it to the isolator... There was a delay between the engine starting (ie. alternator spinning) and me connecting the energise circuit. I didn't think this could damage the alternator, but perhaps I was wrong...

I'll take the alternator and the isolator to an electrician and spin it up on the bench to see what's going on.
Old 30-07-2020, 09:08   #5

You haven't damaged the alternator, you just haven't wired it properly. That's what's so nice about the Perfect Switch dual battery isolator...it's simple-stupid and performs more efficiently than the Victron unit. That said, if you already have the Victron, it will work for you....it just needs to be wired correctly and i'm sure Victron can help you accomplish that.
Old 30-07-2020, 09:26   #6

I hope you're right, and that I haven't damaged it, but I've wired it back up to the engine battery, and the output doesn't show any more than 12.6V now (battery voltage) no matter how hard I rev the engine...
Old 30-07-2020, 10:29   #7

It's an excitation issue. The diodes are not allowing 12 volts to be applied to the alternator to turn the regulator on....or it's not wired correctly.

Tags
alternator, battery, wiring