Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2023, 09:32   #31

Boat: C&C Northeast 39 (sold)
Re: Anchor Light

I'm not advocating kerosene. Just using the foretriangle with an LED lamp.
Hugh McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 09:54   #32

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh McCormack View Post
I'm not advocating kerosene. Just using the foretriangle with an LED lamp.
I know, but there are certain types of people who are very attracted to the romance of the old ways, but don't have enough experience to know that SOME of the things (not very many, but...) we used in the old days just don't cut it any more. I had to learn that the hard way myself, when it came to kerosene running/anchor lights, so am compelled to raise the red flag whenever I see them temptingly described! They really are a menace in most areas of the world today. Unless you always anchor in really dark places, which most of us don't.

Newbies beware!
Old 14-04-2023, 10:50   #33

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We replaced our Aquasignal light with an LED tricolour before we left Denmark 7 years ago. A couple of years ago I had to go up because it wasn't working right. So long extension cord, soldering iron shrink wrap etc. Working at the top of the mast is relatively easy if you have a couple of mast steps up there to stand on.

No I don't mountains or do anything else that insane - but mast work is just mast work-

My wife handles the winch etc. I have no problem with that

If you change - spend the $500 or so and get an LED tricolor - it is worth the price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 12:07   #34

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

In US inland-water collision rules, a rapid-flashing white strobe light is a distress signal, but it isn’t a distress signal under international COLREGS.
Rule 36 – Signals to Attract Attention
Any light to attract the attention of another vessel shall be such that it cannot be mistaken for any aid to navigation. For the purpose of this Rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 17:28   #35

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32

I don’t have time to read through all the posts so perhaps this post is redundant. My anchor light failed and for years I hoisted a light I made. A bulb in an old mayonnaise jar with a cigarette plug on it. Eventually the mast was pulled for a variety of work. I would not personally climb a mast
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 04:40   #36

Boat: paceship 23

I made the mistake of not realizing that led light bulbs are polarity sensitive so if your incandescent socket is wired backwards like mine was you may think you have a bad led bulb.
mikeg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2023, 15:18   #37

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Solution suggestion:

Send your wife up the mast to replace the bulb while you attend to the winch, [or attend to a wench]. Just a recommendation.

What we do. Wife weighs half what I weigh and she doesn’t have the strength to winch me.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 09:36   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawads View Post
We have a 2001 Jeanneau SO 43DS.

I'm uncomfortable with heights, but absolutely terrified of having my wife controlling the winch, for when I change the anchor light. She's doubled the life insurance and is pestering me to get started!

So I'd really like to arrive at the mast top, with everything I need. Does anyone know how I can determine whether i can move to LED by just changing the bulb? Maybe which one to buy? Or is this a whole light replacement. Maybe after 22 years, that would be good??

Thoughts welcome. If you see a boat like mine for sale in Corfu soon, with an Irish widow, call then police.
Seems like a potential Columbo episode which could be used to revive the 1970s series.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2023, 10:01   #39

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I know, but there are certain types of people who are very attracted to the romance of the old ways, but don't have enough experience to know that SOME of the things (not very many, but...) we used in the old days just don't cut it any more. I had to learn that the hard way myself, when it came to kerosene running/anchor lights, so am compelled to raise the red flag whenever I see them temptingly described! They really are a menace in most areas of the world today. Unless you always anchor in really dark places, which most of us don't.

Newbies beware!
Well, I am in really dark places so I guess I am in the clear, but I have both LED and the old kerosene lamp which get hung in the foretriangle, though I choose the electric . I don't have a way to measure, but I am pretty sure the kerosene flame through the fresnel is still pretty visible at 2 miles. Now some folks have anchor lights that light up the whole anchorage. The battle of the brightest can be a bit annoying. As far as lights competing with shore lights, I can certainly agree there but in my experience having an LED, or especially a masthead light, no matter how bright it is, doesn't ensure you can identify which light goes with which boat from a ways out, in fact it is harder for my eyes. I figure I always have to have the spotlight ready. One advantage a masthead light has though is that if the boat is rocking then the swinging light will identify a boat vs. a shore light.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 11:31   #40

Boat: Hake 32RK

Have changed an incandescent bulb to an LED in an old fixture on my last boat but never liked the connection---it required annual cleaning to work. On my current boat I replaced the fixture with a proper purpose built LED light and that's been maintenance free for 4 years. Of course I can raise and lower my mast single handed so I don't have the problem of going up the stick any more.
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 10:29   #41

Boat: 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser

I like to have the original anchor light functioning and LED is the way to go.

In Mexico, I also two solar lights on deck due to possible nighttime panga traffic. https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B08R8DZBJ3/
They work well.

Before I send someone up the mast, does anyone happen to know the bulb that is used on a 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser? Knowing that and the base, it should be easy to find an LED replacement.
allendick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 21:00   #42

Boat: 2007 Bavaria 50 Cruiser

BTW, the $399 price is pesos, not dollars. The pair comes to about $23 USD
allendick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 23:04   #43

Yes, you can swap for just an LED bulb if you can take the assembly apart and not break it. Most likely you can just "unscrew" it and replace the bulb.

Like someone else noted earlier here, I climb by myself without anyone winching me or lowering. I feel safer that way and only need the assistant to send me a tool or piece that I didn't take when going up. Look up solo mast climbing, it's not bad and the tools you use to climb will come handy in other situations.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor