Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 07:29   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Another battery question

I found myself with flat batteries the other day because all the electrolyte had boiled off. I quick thought about the last few days it was obvious that the charger had been running continuously which I had subconsciously noted but had not got around to checking on.

Topped up the electrolyte and called the electrician to check the regulator/charger. He quickly concluded that it was not regulating properly (duh!!!) and whipped it out to check back at the workshop.

I was thinking about how much all this is going to cost me, especially if they then say I have to have new charger and stuffed the batteries

Then it occurred to me that it may be a fault with the electronics or it may be that because the electrolyte was down it never reached it float voltage and therefore kept charging boiling even more electrolyte off.

Simply replacing the batteries with fresh electrolyte may be all thats needed.

What's other expert thoughts ?????
Old 18-08-2013, 10:52   #2
Zil

Re: Another battery question

You may recover your batteries with fresh electrolyte, but you have drastically shortened their life. If they recover, start planning their replacement. Don't trust them on a long voyage.
They must have been over charging to boil off the electrolyte. Unless you never check the level.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 13:22   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Another battery question

If you literally boiled them dry they are probably ruined. Still, there's nothing to stop you from investing a couple of bottles of distilled water and topping them back up, then trying to see if they will take and hold a charge. Load test them, see if they will. Easier than debating whether they might.

But do expect they're ruined.

If your alternator has an internal regulator, that might be a $100-200 repair or parts replacement in the US. If the whole alternator needs work, has worn bearings, brushes, etc. as well? Could be $100-600 for a rebuild or replacement. No idea how those prices translate into local terms for you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery