Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2020, 15:04   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Another Honda 2200i recall

Dated March 17th, 2020, so very recent recall, not sure how servicing will go with Covid going on, but be aware:

Name of product: Honda EB2200i, EU2200i, EU2200i Companion and EU2200i Camo Portable Generators

Hazard: The portable generator’s inverter assembly can short circuit with the presence of salt water. This causes the unit to smoke or catch fire, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.

Remedy: Repair

Recall date: March 17, 2020

Units: About 340,000 (about 200,000 units were previously recalled in 2019)

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/am...d-burn-hazards

I mean, it's only in the presence of salt water, so don't see how that applies here but...
Old 27-03-2020, 15:15   #2

Re: Another Honda 2200i recall

This is probably why most retailers are back-ordered until mid-April!

Are there other similar generators anyone here can recommend?
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2020, 15:18   #3

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post

There seem to be some relatively minor advantages to the Hondas over the Yamahas, but the Yamahas seem to come very close in terms of portability and quietness.

I was researching the 2200i's last year when they had their last recall and ended up going with an EG2800i which I have been VERY happy with, but this was for a cabin setup and it's a very different style generator from the EU's (still nice clean pure-sine inverter generator, just bigger, heavier, a little louder although not bad for an open frame generator).

-- Bass
Old 27-03-2020, 15:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
There seem to be some relatively minor advantages to the Hondas over the Yamahas, but the Yamahas seem to come very close in terms of portability and quietness.

I was researching the 2200i's last year when they had their last recall and ended up going with an EG2800i which I have been VERY happy with, but this was for a cabin setup and it's a very different style generator from the EU's (still nice clean pure-sine inverter generator, just bigger, heavier, a little louder although not bad for an open frame generator).

-- Bass
Thanks!

Yeah I like the size of the smaller Hondas. I feel like it will be easier to safely store on my boat.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 09:14   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

The yamaha is as small if not smaller than the Honda. The problem is the Yamaha uses a smaller engine and doesn’t quite have the grunt of the EU20 and EU22i generators.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 09:46   #6

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
This is probably why most retailers are back-ordered until mid-April!

My friend just bought the WEN one It is supposedly 1700 running watts. He bought after an AI brand one that was supposed to be 1600 Watts cut out trying to heat his water heater. The AI unit shut down at 1421 watts. The Wen ran his heating element and was almost running a battery charger. We did not check the actual output on that test yet but might do it today. Look for Captain Gains on FB for the review of the Wen When it happens.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 10:18   #7

Good companies stand by their products and recall them when a fault is found. Good for Honda.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 11:07   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Good companies stand by their products and recall them when a fault is found. Good for Honda.
Not as much good companies but pressure from regulating agencies. Our Government at work.

Honda has denied warranty coverage to boaters that used their generators daily and wore them out within the warranty period. The warranty is by calendar time, not running hours and they had no right to do what they did. I know of at least two cases like that which were posted on different cruising websites.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 14:49   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Not as much good companies but pressure from regulating agencies. Our Government at work.

Honda has denied warranty coverage to boaters that used their generators daily and wore them out within the warranty period. The warranty is by calendar time, not running hours and they had no right to do what they did. I know of at least two cases like that which were posted on different cruising websites.

How many hours are we talking about?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 15:48   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
How many hours are we talking about?
I don't know. They were not my generators. All I know is that they were in daily use, broke down catastrophically (IIRC threw con rod in one case) and Honda refused to cover them.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 17:29   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I’ve had an Acura legend and a Honda lawnmower. So I bought the generator. Don’t have enough time on it to tell yet. But it does it job. The engineering is good. Quiet and good gas economy. I have only had good experiences with Honda.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 08:07   #12

Boat: C&C

I've had my cheap Champion 2000 watt investor now for 9 years. Only use it for 3 months of the year in the Bahamas [on deck in the salt air]. Slightly louder [a couple DB] than the Honda but I got it at less than 1/2 the price! It will run my 5gal HWT no problem or both my 40 amp chargers as long as I don't turn then both on simultaneously due to the spike. Just have to delay them a couple minutes. So even if it gives up the ghost and I deep six it, I'm still way ahead of the hi priced Honda. Bought it at Costco so even got extended warranty through my credit card. I'm sure I wouldn't have the hassle returning it for warranty purposes that those hi priced Honda's are giving people! I also run synthetic oil in it, it's less then a litre so not breaking the bank but lasts much longer than regular, just change it end of every season and it doesn't seem to burn a drop yet. They also have a twinning feature so that if you were full-time and needed more juice for A/C or whatever, you could have 2 for 4000 watts and if one quits you still have one left to get by on.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 10:16   #13

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Not as much good companies but pressure from regulating agencies. Our Government at work...

this recall was initiated by honda, not the cpsc. they have a program called 'fastrack' which allows companies to use the cpsc facilities to conduct the recall.

see footnote on this page -

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/am...d-burn-hazards
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 01:54   #14

Boat: CD25

wannacat
Just curious where you stow your generator when you head South?
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 06:26   #15

Boat: C&C

Peter 1949- I think you mean when I head north after the winter down south? If so, I change the oil, put Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank, run it for a bit , then empty the fuel tank and put her down below in the boat till we return. Hope that's what your question is? Other than that, we keep it in the cockpit when not in use and traveling.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, honda, recall