Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 22:36   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Anti corrosives inside terminal lugs

Greetings all. Seeking the collective experiences with anti corrosives used in battery lugs and high amp copper or tinned copper connections.
We have new Ancor cable, FTZ lugs, Blue Seas fuses, switches and solid copper buss bars. Temco hydraulic crimpers. Tef-Gel, Boshield and Corrosion Block at the ready. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Mark and his bewildered manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:22   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Anti corrosives inside terminal lugs

Probably most of what you need to know and then some here
https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/
Old 12-03-2021, 03:03   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Since you asked about corrosion, I use Sanchem's NO-OX-ID and apply it to the stripped wire before inserting into the lug. The power industry uses this to prevent corrosion and I have had good luck with it.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

I also spray the battery terminals with something like Corrosion Block, although I think mine was made by Exide.

One more suggestion when making up your cables, I take cheap white heat shrink tubing, write on it with a Sharpie to label the cable, and slide it on before putting on the lug. This is different from the high quality adhesive-lined heat shrink used for insulating the barrel of the lug and is only for labeling purposes.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:53   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

A properly crimped cable (see Marine How To article referenced in #2 above) with adhesive lined heat shrink properly applied produces an airtight connection. IMHO there is no need to apply any type of anti-corrosion paste or spray to the stripped cable ends or the ring terminal bore before crimping.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:09   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Since you asked about corrosion, I use Sanchem's NO-OX-ID and apply it to the stripped wire before inserting into the lug. The power industry uses this to prevent corrosion and I have had good luck with it.

https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html

I also spray the battery terminals with something like Corrosion Block, although I think mine was made by Exide.

One more suggestion when making up your cables, I take cheap white heat shrink tubing, write on it with a Sharpie to label the cable, and slide it on before putting on the lug. This is different from the high quality adhesive-lined heat shrink used for insulating the barrel of the lug and is only for labeling purposes.

Cheers!

Steve
In addition to the grease option, many use JetLube SS-30 pure copper lubricant grease which combines the properties of a waterproof grease with copper to ensure a good electrical bond.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote