Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 12:36   #16

the airx breeze is pretty loud. the normal airx isn't as bad it seems, because in the higher winds the wind itself makes a lot of noise. but the breeze spins fast in low wind, so it's pretty annoying.

but i'd much rather have a wind generator than anything using fossil fuels. the noise is nothing compared the damage to the environment. i'd just keep the noise down if possible; but not at the risk of not installing a wind generator at all.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 16:22   #17

Location: My residence is in Vancouver Washington. Have a floating home on Hayden Island in Portland so the Hailing Port is Portland OR
Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Salon - Gemini Daze
I recently installed a Duo Gen. It mount on a arm that can be fastend in the up position for Wind or dropped into the water for water power generation. Has a wind propeller and a water propeller. Wind propeller is a 5 blade and is extremely quiet and very efficient. About 30 Inches in diameter. The water propeller is about 6 inches in diameter and absolutely silent. In the water power output is 8 amps at 6 kts, 13 amps at 7 kts and 20 amps at 8 kts. A little more spendy than just the water or just the wind but with a dual use it is extremely efficient. www.duogen.com

Hope this helps.

s/v Gemini Daze
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 17:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau 50
I bought a used fourwindsII that I will be installing this spring. It has air brakes on it that limit the rpms. So it has mechanical speed limiting, a feature which I like very much.

I have the charge controller for it (Xantrex C60). Wind generators like to have a load, the C60 handles a dump load, which I will make the water heater. Once the batteries get fully charged, the water will start getting heated.

I still have to pick up the stainless steel poles for it.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 19:23   #19

Boat: islandpacket
keep me posted on the dump load and how it works out. Thanks Al
Old 11-03-2009, 19:55   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
the airx breeze is pretty loud. the normal airx isn't as bad it seems, because in the higher winds the wind itself makes a lot of noise. but the breeze spins fast in low wind, so it's pretty annoying.

but i'd much rather have a wind generator than anything using fossil fuels. the noise is nothing compared the damage to the environment. i'd just keep the noise down if possible; but not at the risk of not installing a wind generator at all.
We went with the Breeze because our prevailing winds are so high in San Francisco Bay, and it handles the higher wind speeds better than most of the six-blade types. Were I sailing in an area with light air, I'd definitely have gone with a Rutland 913, which is noticeably more quiet at low speeds.

I also agree with your sentiments about preferring wind power to using fossil fuels. Carbon emissions will ultimately do more harm to the anchorage than the whish of my Air Breeze.