Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2022, 07:42   #31

Re: Any reason NOT to just buy a cheap portable inverter?

I’ve had a Vector budget inverter for over 20 years 2 sailboats, Lancer 25, Catalina 270. Probably paid $40. No issues.
I see they still sell them.

Go cheap!🍀
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:35   #32

I hooked up a 3000w pure sine wave inverter off eBay to my system. It’s switched so disconnected when not in use. It’s only used to power a microwave to make mug cakes for my wife’s dessert. Happy wife, happy sailor. All my other stuff is charged with USB outlets I hooked up to my 12v system. No point in converting 12v to 220/ 110v and then back to 5v for charging phones etc.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:43   #33

I think these small inverters ar very handy. But i suggest some recommendations:
- choose a pure sine wave. We had a modified sine wave one and the laptop of one of our friends smoked and died because it could not handle the modified sine wave…
- choose a perhaps little pricier known brand. The cheap chines inverters often claim specs that are not fulfilled
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:05   #34

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow View Post
Have been looking at just getting a basic inverter to plug into my 12V just for simple charging of phones/laptops/etc while under motor.
At present, we don't spend long periods of time on the hook - mostly just day sailing in Lake Michigan.

Is there any reason not to buy a super simple "cheap" inverter like this one:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc..._term=PWR10017

I like having something small that I can store easily, and like the idea of being able to use in the car as well if needed.
But I don't want to be "penny wise and pound foolish" either, so very open to feedback.

I have one of these 300 watt inverters that I use for low power needs instead of my large Magnum inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-300W...6&sr=8-10&th=1

Get a pure sine wave inverter as others have suggested.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:22   #35

Boat: Fontain Pajot, Marquises

Since 10 Years I use the cheap PriceSmart 1.500 watts inverter at 114.-
In the first years i had to replace it every 2nd year, as the small blowers inside failed.... since 4 years the same one is working... the trick: take the ground panel off, so it may breath, put a big 12v computer fan underneath, that you connect to the original 12v input of the small blowers, so the whole item is ventilated all the time. I have a freezer , a fridge (both box type household size more than 150 quarts) and all electronical devices of me, my crew and up to 12 guests on it, every day working, when the solar power works or the engines.....

WhatsApp +507 6033 1357
fritzthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 14:31   #36

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

First I would be very cautious about pulling a bunch of watts through a 12v socket. The connection is poor and tends to heat up. The wiring and fusing is likely too small for the capacity of these inverters.

I would only buy a pure sine wave inverter these days. Why risk your equipment?

I would try to power more things through dedicated adapters to save energy.
Old 01-07-2022, 14:56   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzthecat View Post
Since 10 Years I use the cheap PriceSmart 1.500 watts inverter at 114.-
In the first years i had to replace it every 2nd year, as the small blowers inside failed.... since 4 years the same one is working... the trick: take the ground panel off, so it may breath, put a big 12v computer fan underneath, that you connect to the original 12v input of the small blowers, so the whole item is ventilated all the time. I have a freezer , a fridge (both box type household size more than 150 quarts) and all electronical devices of me, my crew and up to 12 guests on it, every day working, when the solar power works or the engines.....

WhatsApp +507 6033 1357
I’d agree. The biggest issue with the cheap Chinese inverters is the totally inadequate cooling , beef that up and it improves things a lot.
Old 02-07-2022, 21:33   #38

After a half-century of camping in lesser rigs...
After a year and a hundred thousand miles of delivering RecreateVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows...
2003, we converted a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
We voted to keep all systems simple.
How simple?
Fact is, we eliminated the systems, going straight to basic.
Accordingly, we use multiple automotive 750-Watt inverters.
We acquired these from our local-owned family-operated auto parts store.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard.
We finally had one fail.
We think this's a great record at a great price.
Starting fresh, we would go modular again.
One response -- Post 2 by Rumrace -- apparently discusses a 120vac battery charger you plug into the garage wall in a stand-still house to re-charge a car battery... with an inverter apparently as a side hustle?
That 'complication' would be beyond our needs.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 22:29   #39

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Yes a couple dozen.
At any rate make sure it’s for marine. A car battery charger will cause metal damage to anything in the water. You can get a simple charger inverter for a single battery with a 120V outlet around 40$. For 75$ You can plug in solar 120V charging charging, and two outlets.
It’s equipment for bass boats. They have tiny marine units. I’ve seen them on amazon and Westmarine.
Oh please enlighten us, a couple of dozen??
As every other poster has noted, the question was about a small inverter for charging phones etc, NOT a charger for the boat batteries. Marine specific is not required.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 18:50   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow View Post
Thanks for all the help. Was not aware of the different sine waves, so that's quite useful.

To clarify, I just would plug into the 12V, would NOT be wiring directly to the battery.

For sure go pure sine. You will be surprised at the things that won’t work otherwise. Most all 12 volt panel outlets are fused at 10 amps which limit you to about 130 watts. I find I can charge most everything with that. If you want hair dryer or microwave you’ll want a 1500 watt inverter.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, inverter