Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 22:36   #16

Re: ANY Reliable battery chargers out there???

a 20a charger is pretty useless execpt for winter storage. if you plug into a dock while on the boat you'll probably be using almost that much on the boat. so you won't actually charge batteries at a dock. you'll just break even.

if you have a 500ah bank (i'm guessing that's what you mean by watt) your charger should be in the 50-100a range depending on flooded or agm.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 22:45   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
My original zantrex built with my boat 13 years ago still works but a new Zantrex I installed for use with 240 V only lasted 2 1/2 years and now I have a e-power which seems to be working pretty good, but it has only been 11 months
The old Xantrex truecharge chargers ( black casing) are good and reliable. The newer ones in a white casing are just crap and
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 11:06   #18
Zil

I have a ProMariner, 40 amp. I think it is a very good charger. Two years worth.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 06:30   #19
cruiser

The Mastercharge 20Amp is in and actually works the 3 charge levels on a timer basis! The 500 AH bank has been desulphinated by the Xantrex C-35 Solar charge controller and the bank holds steady at 12.8volts without any charge for at least 3days. Thanks for all the comments here.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 08:06   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I have had Cruising sailboats for 40+ years. Need a new single bank battery charger as my pro mariner 40 amp went out. These things are junk. Also have have junky Guest, Xantrex, West Marine and a few others. Only good one I had was a Charles but don't have room for one . Recommendations and experience???
How do you manage to have trouble with all those different brands of battery chargers? Why can't you find room for your favorite brand of charger?

I replaced a ten year old Xantrex that failed with a Pro Mariner that has not failed. That's my experience.
Old 26-09-2016, 08:12   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I suspect installation problems. I've never had one last less than 10 years, and I've had most of those brands. Maybe dampness. Maybe capacity. Maybe poor cooling ventilation. Maybe poor shore power system.
Old 27-09-2016, 21:41   #22

Boat: Yankee 30'

My 40A ProMariner lasted over 4 years, worked great, but then started dropping out. Called the tech support and was told it had 5 year warranty and they sent me new one. So far so good. I like having the capacity to cycle my TPPL AGMs occasionally, recharging them individually with the recommended high current to stave off sulphation.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:06   #23

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
The old Xantrex truecharge chargers ( black casing) are good and reliable. The newer ones in a white casing are just crap and
I think you meant the Xantrex chargers in the yellow casing! black casing ones where the private label E.G. early WestMarine chargers
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think the Pro Mariner are sold as Sterling in the UK, my 40AH charger is still going strong some 7 years after fitting. Mounted in a cool dry spot I think the fan has been on twice in that time. What is not to like? the kit just works.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger