Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2021, 17:33   #76

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Anyone not using Honda portable generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post

I had the 2000 watt model. Don't bother, sold it for 1/2 price after 1 year. Too loud, I think the Predators are better than those.

Icarus is right about the parts, with Honda you will be able to buy parts for it for many years.

Harbor Freight will be anyone's guess. They certainly do not stock parts in the stores for them.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 17:36   #77

Boat: Jeanneau 349

How’s it plugging in the Predator with the adapter into the shore power? Makes me either considering getting 2 for a parallel kit or the 3500 and getting the wife to help me move it.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 17:53   #78

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'

I have a Yamaha 2000. I've had it for 4 years. It was half the price of the Honda 2000. It has been trouble free. Just change the oil and use non ethanol gas. Drain the tank when storing it for long periods (2-3+ months) It is quiet (50') and I have never had a complaint in any anchorage. I can use it in my dinghy to polish my sides or pressure wash the boat. If I install a soft start on my AC it will run it. Hook it up to my shore power plug and run my battery charger, space heater, Vornado fans, microwave, coffee pot, hand held mixer, tv, etc. but not all at once.
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 19:04   #79

Boat: O’Day 40

Honda v. Predator- two things of note, the Predator holds .25 gal. More fuel & is 3db louder, that’s a bunch!
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 21:11   #80
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Honda v. Predator- two things of note, the Predator holds .25 gal. More fuel & is 3db louder, that’s a bunch!
3dB louder means it is twice as loud. Funny how others state it is just as silent

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 22:44   #81

I’m likely getting the Honda now. The two main reasons are that it has a 30 amp available and you can cut off the fuel supply to run it dry. I ultimately want to pump out the fuel after use so I can keep it down below decks in a non vented locker.
Old 20-03-2021, 06:15   #82

i have a little 1700i Firman that I bought for my sailboat this year. Hoping i never have to use it but wanted the security that if i drained the batteries a little much one night i could use it to charge them back up if it was cloudy day. i do have one question a little off topic but on topic at the same time. What are peoples thoughts regarding most of these little generators have a floating neutral. Just wondering what the community has done if anything to make sure it is safe to plug your boat into a portable generator. Or do you just run an extension cord to the device you want to use. Thanks again everyone
horan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 07:32   #83

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

[QUOTE I ultimately want to pump out the fuel after use so I can keep it down below decks in a non vented locker.[/QUOTE]

Remember gasoline per se is not the worry but gasoline vapors. I suspect the only way you will really get the Honda safe is to drain the tank and run the carb dry.

As an aside, as a backup for the Honda I bought a HF 3500 Predator after Hurricane Michael. About 20 hours on it so far (just exercise with some resistance heaters). I am impressed (really quiet and starts my 1/2 HP well pump in eco mode, no go on Honda). I did drain the oil after 5 initial hours, had a significant grey tint to the used oil. Frequent oil changes might be good practice until the rough edges are worn off.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 08:01   #84

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
My two cents; if you don't use a Honda, just buy a cheap throwaway from Harbor Freight, or Princess Auto, generator. I bought a Generac

A friend has a new Honda for me and as he sails from Florida, I sail up from Guatemala and we are meeting up in Mexico.

I am using a small Guatemalan/Chinese generator to fill the void
Yeah, what he said. I bought one of those 'cheaper' one years ago. Looked like it should be on the job site. Nope, frame began to rust out in months. It may have lasted about a year and was worthless.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 08:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
3dB louder means it is twice as loud. Funny how others state it is just as silent
3db is twice the power but that doesn't translate to twice as loud to the human ear.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:18   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
[QUOTE I ultimately want to pump out the fuel after use so I can keep it down below decks in a non vented locker.

Remember gasoline per se is not the worry but gasoline vapors. I suspect the only way you will really get the Honda safe is to drain the tank and run the carb dry.

As an aside, as a backup for the Honda I bought a HF 3500 Predator after Hurricane Michael. About 20 hours on it so far (just exercise with some resistance heaters). I am impressed (really quiet and starts my 1/2 HP well pump in eco mode, no go on Honda). I did drain the oil after 5 initial hours, had a significant grey tint to the used oil. Frequent oil changes might be good practice until the rough edges are worn off.

Frankly[/QUOTE]

Sorry, though emptying the fuel and running it dry were to be assumed together. I plan on doing that and likely also leaving the cap off for a bit before moving it below decks.

I was very interested in the HF 3500 actually as it’s cheaper, more power, electric start, etc. My wife and I wouldn’t have issues moving it if we both were helping (and I could move it myself if needed). However, what got me was the ability to run the carb dry. It doesn’t seem like that’s an option. Is this something to even be concerned about if I can hand pump out the fuel while running and just wait for it to die off? I have a locker that’s open to the elements which is fine for just storing plastic fuel cans but no good wood for a generator and my wife refused to let it stay on deck.
Old 20-03-2021, 09:39   #87

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:

Frankly
We have a Honda 2000i. With one major exception, it has been very reliable.
(The one exception: a major failure within its ignition (coil?) that occurred after about 4 hrs use and while we were on our way for a 3-month trip to northern BC. So we carried a dead weight for the duration. Warranty fix with part from Japan; dealer had never seen it before. Since then, no problem for 9+ years.)

But we rarely use it. Perhaps 3-4 hours max per year. Our solar panels do the job. Never used it while in Mexico (well, actually 2x, for total of 2 hours). My wife says "sell it", but I reply with multiple reasons why not ("what about that coming earthquake...?"). Indeed, last time used was so we could run a heat gun (while at anchor) to remove and descale 1.5" hose (from toilet) clogged by buildup. Since then I've not heard "sell it"....

More to the current point: EACH time we do use it, we suck out all remaining fuel (then we endup using a tiny cellulose sponge to get it all out), and empty carb (very easy), before we store in unvented locker. Bit of a pain, but safer!
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:31   #88

Bought a Yamaha 2ki last year at Costco for $449.
Groupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 14:55   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14

One little known tip / trick with the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 (and perhaps other HF models): they also have a fuel cut off switch. It’s just not obvious or advertised. To shut off the fuel (while the generator is running) turn the main switch halfway from the Run position to the Off position. Then wait for it to burn off the remaining fuel in the line. The generator will shut off after it runs the remaining fuel in the line dry.
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 15:16   #90

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
I’m likely getting the Honda now. The two main reasons are that it has a 30 amp available and you can cut off the fuel supply to run it dry. I ultimately want to pump out the fuel after use so I can keep it down below decks in a non vented locker.

Pretty sure that 30amp receptical does not work out of the box with just one Honda EU2200. If you parallel it with another EU2200 it will be enabled. You can always rewire it though.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda