Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 10:22   #1

Anyone used the ECOM019 isolator?

Hello,

I was looking for straight forward isolator to separate a small house bank from the starter and Front Runner suggested the ECOM019.
Has anyone had experience with this unit?
I want to have all my sources (AC invertor, Solar, Alternator) be on my starter site (not a sail boat!) and the ECOM019 between my starter and house bank.
Apparently the house bank will only charge when the source is greater than 13.5v and the starter is greater than 12.7v.

Ultimately I don't have much but I just want to make sure my starter NEVER dies! Very unpleasant experiences with that.....

Thoughts?

Thanks,

--Phil
PSteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:01   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Anyone used the ECOM019 isolator?

Have you looked at the Blue Seas ACR? Does the same thing, costs less, higher power capability, and uses less power (175mA vs. 740mA). They're the go-to unit for most boatie types.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:16   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

There is more than one way to skin this cat. I'm with you on the problem. I guess we would use the Blue Seas if we used one at all, but we approached it from the other end. In the general case, one engine alternator charges the house bank (fancy Balmar rig) while another (simple Delco one-wire) charges the engine start battery. They stay separate unless there is a need to join them, as in the engine starter battery failing. I've never had to do that, but the same logic applies to the genset starter battery, which charges off the genset alternator. A simple blade switch combines these two if I need to start the monster on a cold morning.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45   #4

For the Blue Seas ACR, it doesn't seem to care about the side of the connection, immediately when there is a drain on one side it will isolate the terminals.
What would happen if the solar is low on output, no alternator or 120v input, and sources are on starter side, house is in use, would it also charge the house bank or cut?

Thanks,

--Phil Steward
Old 08-10-2020, 12:05   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Not sure I am seeing the distinction. The ACR connects terminal A to terminal B when the voltage at A is > 13.6V for 2 seconds or > 13.0V for 30 seconds. It disconnects A from B when the voltage at A falls below 12.35V for 10 seconds or 12.75V for 30 seconds. With a few differences in tenths of Volts this sounds nearly identical to the ECOM 019.

In the scenario you question, it will all depend on the voltage on the start side. If the solar output is low, but able to keep the voltage above 12.75V then it will stay connected (assuming it got high enough to get connected at some point). On the other hand, if the solar is low and use level is such that the voltage drops below that level it will cut the connection.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:09   #6

So I guess in that regard it does make sense that it cuts as if it doesn't my starter would drain....

Thanks,

--Phil
Old 09-10-2020, 09:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I know this isn't the question you asked, but if I may make a recommendation. The better practice according to my research and the recommendations of the marine electrical experts, is to connect all the charging sources to the house batteries and install some type of combiner to top off the starting batteries.

The reasoning:

- When starting an engine you will typically use less than 1 amp hour from the battery. For a typical starting battery that will be around 0.5% of the total battery capacity.

- House batteries typically use dozens of amp hours in a day, depending on the boat and what's installed.

- Some combiners are bi-directional but some are designed to send the large current in one direction. Connecting one of these to send the current the other way can cause problems and possibly damage some charging sources.

So connect all the charging sources to the house batteries, use your preferred automatic combiner and it will easily top off the tiny bit of charge used from the starting battery yet keep it isolated and fully charged.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 21:42   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSteward View Post
I want to have all my sources (AC invertor, Solar, Alternator) be on my starter site (not a sail boat!) and the ECOM019 between my starter and house bank.
Apparently the house bank will only charge when the source is greater than 13.5v and the starter is greater than 12.7v.

--Phil
Why would you ever want your AC inverter fed by your start battery?

All charge sources should go to the house bank.

All loads except engine starter and dash panels should come from the house bank.

Blue Seas ACR or Victron Cyrix combiners would be my choice.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 10:23   #9

Hello,

I am not always using the boat and currently (I need to find out why) the starter battery is draining to a point I cannot start the boat when not used for a week. I am trying to ensure a no matter what happens the starter is always topped (what if the bilge pump needs to run or if I have an anchor light on).
Basically starter besides starting is for essential items only and if those run down the battery then the setup isn't working...suggestions?
I entirely agree that the house batteries get the focus of the charge, but my intention is that the if the starter starts go below a point the charging source (which ever it is) is diverted to ensure the starter is topped before going back to the house bank.

Thanks,

--Phil
Old 17-10-2020, 10:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hello,

I am not always using the boat and currently (I need to find out why) the starter battery is draining to a point I cannot start the boat when not used for a week. I am trying to ensure a no matter what happens the starter is always topped (what if the bilge pump needs to run or if I have an anchor light on).
Basically starter besides starting is for essential items only and if those run down the battery then the setup isn't working...suggestions?
I entirely agree that the house batteries get the focus of the charge, but my intention is that the if the starter starts go below a point the charging source (which ever it is) is diverted to ensure the starter is topped before going back to the house bank.

Thanks,

--Phil
Do you have solar or power from the dock to an onboard battery charger or some other way that you keep your house bank charged when off the boat?

Do you keep the ignition off? Do you have anything wired directly to the start battery besides the starter?

If you do the above and do not have any other loads wired to the start battery then any basic battery charge combiner between the house and start batteries will keep the start battery charged.

I use the Andina combiner but others work as well.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:09   #11

Hello,

I need to investigate the wiring next spring to determine if there is a drain as I did not do the original wiring. Currently any marina I get docked to doesn't provide services so I am looking to outfit some solar panels, likely 120v feed will be rare.
I'm just trying to decide on a design for the starter versus house and general charging to ensure the boat can always be started worse case scenario.

Thanks,

--Phil Steward
Old 17-10-2020, 11:15   #12

Boat: Island Packet 32

PSteward,
Rod Collins, Marine How To, posted a very good, extensive article on that subject. It would be very helpful to read.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hello,

I need to investigate the wiring next spring to determine if there is a drain as I did not do the original wiring. Currently any marina I get docked to doesn't provide services so I am looking to outfit some solar panels, likely 120v feed will be rare.
I'm just trying to decide on a design for the starter versus house and general charging to ensure the boat can always be started worse case scenario.

Thanks,

--Phil Steward
Simple quick and dirty solution.

1. Look at start battery and disconnect everything on the positive terminal except the wire to the starter. This does assume solenoid, ignition key, etc are powered through a wire connection to the starter. If bilge pump or important stuff was attached to start battery move it to house battery.

2, Install an Andina combiner between the house and start batteries.

3. Make sure alternator and all charging goes to house batteries.

4. Charge house batteries. Start battery will automatically charge. Stop charging house batteries, start battery will automatically disconnect, will be isolated.
Old 17-10-2020, 13:08   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstevens View Post
PSteward,
Rod Collins, Marine How To, posted a very good, extensive article on that subject. It would be very helpful to read.
https://marinehowto.com/automatic-charging-relays