Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 03:00   #1

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Are ODISSEY BATTERIES up to their HD Reputation?

Dear all,

I have been offered brand new ODISSEY PC-2150 100Ah 12V batteries (35kg) being decommissioned by a ship.
I knew Trojan and Rolls&Sonnen as premium AGM batteries, but Odissey??

As a 350d/year liveaboard, l keep AGM in little reputation... They last me 4-500cycles max and drop all of a sudden (I have solar 300W and gourmet chargers (2) and a 2nd power alt.)

I wouldn't buy AGM any longer... But at a 50%discount, if really HD,....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:38   #2

Re: Are ODISSEY BATTERIES up to their HD Reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Dear all,

I have been offered brand new ODISSEY PC-2150 100Ah 12V batteries (35kg) being decommissioned by a ship.
I knew Trojan and Rolls&Sonnen as premium AGM batteries, but Odissey??

As a 350d/year liveaboard, l keep AGM in little reputation... They last me 4-500cycles max and drop all of a sudden (I have solar 300W and gourmet chargers (2) and a 2nd power alt.)

I wouldn't buy AGM any longer... But at a 50%discount, if really HD,....
please consider ODYSSEY for Odissey
Old 04-09-2017, 03:42   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Got 4 of them, bought them 6 years ago, not for boat, but for RV. No, don't cycle them everyday, but they are like new still, maintain their capacity.
If you can purchase them at half price, go for it IF they have been looked after (that is never left being discharged)
Can be used as starter battery and house battery, that is in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:04   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Odyssey is a top-notch manufacturer for AGM, along with Lifeline and Northstar.

No matter the discount, check it is a model from the lines designed for deep cycling, if that is your usage.

Confirm mfg date and remaining warranty, and also perform a standard 20-hour load test. Also gives a comparison benchmark for later.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:07   #5
cruiser

If the model is*31M-PC2150, that is a so-called dual-purpose unit, really just HD cranking batt.

Not suited for true deep cycling usage.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If the model is*31M-PC2150, that is a so-called dual-purpose unit, really just HD cranking batt.

Not suited for true deep cycling usage.
This is untrue in regards to deep cycling. The TPPL (thin plate pure lead) design of the battery makes them excellent cranking batteries or dual purpose but they also cycle very well for an AGM. In the real world I routinely see TPPL flat plates (Odyssey or Northstar) right on par with Lifeline and in many cases outlast Lifeline. In PSOC testing both Northstar and Odyssey performed slightly better than Lifeline...
Old 04-09-2017, 04:34   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Our oldest bank of 3x Odyssey PC-2150s (BCI Group 31) was installed in early 2006 and just replaced earlier this season. That bank is a dual-purpose start/house bank... and it also runs all our bridge electronics (a fairly hefty load), even when we're trolling on "the other" engine.

The second similar bank was installed in mid-2009, still going strong.

We've gotten good service. We're able to recharge easily.

Another Odyssey battery -- PC-1500 (G34M) -- is our genset start battery, also installed in mid-2009. Not on a charger; the genset alternator solves that.

"Decommissioned by a ship" means used batteries. Question would be "how used?" Half off a ten-year-old clapped-out battery isn't a bargain. Half off a battery installed day before yesterday and hardly used, could be a deal.

-Chris
Old 04-09-2017, 05:00   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

"Decommissioned by a ship" means used batteries. Question would be "how used?" Half off a ten-year-old clapped-out battery isn't a bargain. Half off a battery installed day before yesterday and hardly used, could be a deal.

-Chris
I agree 50% off new for any used battery is probably not a deal. $50.00 each might be worth the risk but not 50% off new....

The only way I would plunk down for used batteries is if they are delivering 90% or more of their Ah rating after a 20 hour capacity test...
Old 04-09-2017, 05:14   #9

Thanks you all for info.

They were imported to a US flagged ship in Italy and never installed. Never used. Look pristine.

I well imagine they can't be easily obtainable in Italy, they came in as part of a big pallet shipment.

M31 PC2150 (house) and M34 PC1500 (indeed, best for genny start)

thanks!!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:16   #10
cruiser

Note the OP did state they were new batteries, not used. I agree to be skeptical, do a proper load test, just saying the seller is claiming new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This is untrue in regards to deep cycling. The TPPL (thin plate pure lead) design of the battery makes them excellent cranking batteries or dual purpose but they also cycle very well for an AGM.
So in general would you say all the Odyssey AGM lines are equally suited to deep cycling usage?

With other vendors generally, their 12V automotive form factor models show a much shorter lifetime under those conditions, and the ones designated "dual purpose" even more so.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:01   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Note the OP did state they were new batteries, not used. I agree to be skeptical, do a proper load test, just saying the seller is claiming new.
The description:

Quote:
and the word decommissioned, led me to incorrectly assume they were "new to him" but had been used on another vessel. If they are in-fact brand new & never in-service then 50% off is a quite a good deal..

Quote:
So in general would you say all the Odyssey AGM lines are equally suited to deep cycling usage?

With other vendors generally, their 12V automotive form factor models show a much shorter lifetime under those conditions, and the ones designated "dual purpose" even more so.
Enersys does make some Odyssey racing batteries that are really only best suited to starting, but the PC-2150 (the "M" just means marine terminals) is certainly one of their deep cycle products that also has high cranking ability.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:26   #12
cruiser

Great thanks, Lifeline seems to do a better job making that distinction in their model descriptions.

And yes with that info I'd jump on that deal myself, but then immediately test.
Old 04-09-2017, 15:57   #13

Sorry Gents,

Batteries were mounted and pre-installed the day after, care of my trusted technician.

Sorry for using "decommissioned " improperly:-)
Old 04-09-2017, 23:19   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Good luck with them. I certainly would not buy them again. I had the larger versions and in my opinion they are not suited for real life deep cycle use on typical cruising boats where at anchor batteries often don't get recharged past 80%. I suggest you have hard look at your charging system to maximize output. There is at leaat one article on this by Nigel Calder.

A factory customer service supervisor told me once I would only two years out of mine. He was a little arrogant. I actually got four.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 23:47   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
typical cruising boats where at anchor batteries often don't get recharged past 80%.
With a good genset+charger and some solar, there's nothing stopping the owner from getting the bank to 100% every cycle once she's aware how critical it is.