Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 13:23   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Are solar and wind enough for cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I did a lot of that, but it was with Uncle Sam, called it misery training.
Now as I'm older, I know how to be miserable, I have been trained after all. We are not going to cruise like that, if I were to try, I'd suspect I'd be single handing before long, if we ever left the dock.
On one side, you have the Super Yacht crowd where you helicopter ashore so you don't get your evening wear wet, then of course step from the helicopter to the Limo, you haven't opened your own door in you don't remember when.
Then of course there is what your talking about, pretty much want most would consider deprivation.
I think there is a middle ground, one where you shower with soap and as much fresh water as you like so you go to bed clean and no salt on you.
Absolutely, 100℅. Nothing wrong with comfort, water and electricity improve life.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
But seriously, cruising is like backpacking (which I did a lot of in my younger days). If ye can't wash in seawater and rinse with a 1.5 minute freshwater shower (my boat has a shower), you should'ne be cruising. IMHO.
Nope , queen size bed, hot water showers and fresh water flushing toilets... Whats wrong with some comfort? I started on a Wharram, loved every minute of it but if i have to choose, more comfort is better, i know the difference.

I always find the anti comfort or money thing interesting, i come from no money but i know that:
rich is better than poor
Tall is better than short
Slim is better than fat
Good looking is better than ugly
Bigger boat is better than smaller
Etc etc etc

People that say other wise arent being truthful.

I dont have all of the above but i certainly can admit that its true.
Old 24-09-2017, 13:46   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

But reducing consumption is also a good thing, not least of energy.

And there is such a thing as too much comfort for a healthy productive life.

Circumstances do change, more so and more quickly nowadays, and being comfortable while roughing it gives a lot more flexibility.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 13:55   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
But reducing consumption is also a good thing, not least of energy.

And there is such a thing as too much comfort for a healthy productive life.

Circumstances do change, more so and more quickly nowadays, and being comfortable while roughing it gives a lot more flexibility.
To a degree yes, but most that argue this line argue it because they dont have it but want it, not saying this is you. Ive experienced both, and sometimes ( upto a point) more is better.
Eg. Passage making is uncomfortable at the best of times, a freezer with pre cocked meals and a microwave can really make your day, whats wrong with that?
Old 24-09-2017, 13:55   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Nope , queen size bed, hot water showers and fresh water flushing toilets... Whats wrong with some comfort? I started on a Wharram, loved every minute of it but if i have to choose, more comfort is better, i know the difference.

I always find the anti comfort or money thing interesting, i come from no money but i know that:
rich is better than poor
Tall is better than short
Slim is better than fat
Good looking is better than ugly
Bigger boat is better than smaller
Etc etc etc

People that say other wise arent being truthful.

I dont have all of the above but i certainly can admit that its true.
I got the tall and slim. The rest I'm SOL.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:01   #51
cruiser

Quote:
To a degree yes, but most that argue this line argue it because they dont have it but want it, not saying this is you. Ive experienced both, and sometimes ( upto a point) more is better.
Eg. Passage making is uncomfortable at the best of times, a freezer with pre cocked meals and a microwave can really make your day, whats wrong with that?
For me, greatly prefer the unprocessed ingredients and a kitchen well-designed for cooking.

Yes of course it's a balance, and each must draw the line.

It just gets me when people seem to think life's not worth living, mod cons become must-haves, thinking they need to be wealthy to travel the world and then cut themselves off from the best parts when they get there.

The biggest freedom is to to be able to resist the brainwashing of your own culture.
Old 24-09-2017, 14:11   #52

Quote:
For me, greatly prefer the unprocessed ingredients and a kitchen well-designed for cooking.

It just gets me when people seem to think life's not worth living, mod cons become must-haves, thinking they need to be wealthy to travel the world and then cut themselves off from the best parts when they get there.

The biggest freedom is to to be able to resist the brainwashing of your own culture.
Hi John, let me first say i enjoy your posts.
I certainly would not and have not let not having the mod cons stop me from cruising, ive done it with alot less than i currently have and would do it again.

BUT anyone that says they dont enjoy hot water is lieing.
Anyone thats says they dont enjoy a large bed is lying.
Anyone that says that they dont enjoy good food due to good refrigeration and storage is lying.

And i have well layed out galley for passage making but a microwave still makes things better.

We as humans enjoy our comforts, right or wrong? Doesn't concern me, it just is.
Old 24-09-2017, 14:15   #53

I also very much agree with your brainwashing from the culture you grow up with...i think you will find we are on the same page.
Old 24-09-2017, 14:54   #54
cruiser

There are many wonderful things I have greatly enjoyed in my time here so far, many of which are not available at any price in some places and very freely available in others.

Some I have enjoyed to excess, even "wasted" big chunks of my life pursuing.

No regrets, but when possible, I find I have a lot more freedom in life treating these comforts, pleasures, desires as **preferences** rather than being hypnotised into believing they are essential to my happiness or peace of mind.

Yes I like and enjoy them. No, I don't need them, won't let a lack of them keep me from embarking on a new adventure.
Old 24-09-2017, 14:56   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I also very much agree with your brainwashing from the culture you grow up with...i think you will find we are on the same page.
I grew up with Ice tongs and a 50# block of ice. Best time of my life.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 19:37   #56

Quote:
There are many wonderful things I have greatly enjoyed in my time here so far, many of which are not available at any price in some places and very freely available in others.

Some I have enjoyed to excess, even "wasted" big chunks of my life pursuing.

No regrets, but when possible, I find I have a lot more freedom in life treating these comforts, pleasures, desires as **preferences** rather than being hypnotised into believing they are essential to my happiness or peace of mind.

Yes I like and enjoy them. No, I don't need them, won't let a lack of them keep me from embarking on a new adventure.
I agree.
Old 24-09-2017, 20:31   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLepew View Post
You gonna carry 50 to 100 bottles from (several) stores to dock? You obviously haven't cruised the Bahamas.
Distilled water is for your batteries. You're not supposed to drink the stuff...
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:45   #58
cruiser

Quote:

The fruits and nuts shopping at Whole Foods Market aren't "brainwashed?"
Old 24-09-2017, 20:47   #59
cruiser

Dunno, never been, nor seen their ads, but people say they're pricey?

Nothing wrong with fruit and nuts though, and they go back a bit further than modern-day propaganda techniques.
Old 24-09-2017, 23:28   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Dunno, never been, nor seen their ads, but people say they're pricey?

Nothing wrong with fruit and nuts though, and they go back a bit further than modern-day propaganda techniques.
Maybe a little more oat bran added to your diet will speed things up a bit, my previous post seemed to fly over your head too quickly.

Tags
cruising, solar, wind