Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2020, 13:20   #1

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Autopilot disconnect switch

Hey guys,

I'm going to be adding a cockpit autopilot disconnect switch.

System is
Open CPN/pi 4+/HAT2 on a German made break out board to NEMA and 12vdc

Autopilot controller is a new pipilot

Autopilot is a raymarine type 1

With a switch like this

https://m.dhgate.com/discount/waterp...h-on-sale.html

So the idea is if things went pear shaped, I could hit the button and 100% deactivate the AP

Would I just interrupt the negative of the clutch wire?

Thanks
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 16:40   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Autopilot disconnect switch

I can't see the switch from the link.

I would check the current draw of the clutch and the specs of the switch to see if the switch can carry the current.

Then I would confirm if the switch has a momentary action or not. Whatever the action is, you can try it first by manually doing the same action with the clutch wiring.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 17:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Hey guys,

I'm going to be adding a cockpit autopilot disconnect switch.

System is
Open CPN/pi 4+/HAT2 on a German made break out board to NEMA and 12vdc

Autopilot controller is a new pipilot

Autopilot is a raymarine type 1

With a switch like this

https://m.dhgate.com/discount/waterp...h-on-sale.html

So the idea is if things went pear shaped, I could hit the button and 100% deactivate the AP

Would I just interrupt the negative of the clutch wire?

Thanks
Don’t know your autopilot

On my pilot the kill switch .... named STANDBY....
Breaks the clutch and motor power supply via a MOSFET relay

If your only broke clutch , the motor would continue to Run until it smoked out

Be alert
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 17:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Don’t know your autopilot

On my pilot the kill switch .... named STANDBY....
Breaks the clutch and motor power supply via a MOSFET relay

If your only broke clutch , the motor would continue to Run until it smoked out

Be alert
So what would be the best way to execute this?

Ideally I'd like it to be pumpkin spice basic, less relays and whatnot the better
Old 25-06-2020, 17:41   #5

Quote:
So what would be the best way to execute this?

Ideally I'd like it to be pumpkin spice basic, less relays and whatnot the better
Any switch (or switches) at the helm isn't going to tough enough to handle the normal motor current unless the are big multipole switches. The wiring run would likely to excessive as well. Which is why we use relays etc.

Doesn't the AP already have a disconnect function???????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-06-2020, 18:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Any switch (or switches) at the helm isn't going to tough enough to handle the normal motor current unless the are big multipole switches. The wiring run would likely to excessive as well. Which is why we use relays etc.

Doesn't the AP already have a disconnect function???????
It does, but software based, I need a hardware disconnect redundancy
Old 25-06-2020, 18:53   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Our Ray course computer (CC) has a disable/standby circuit. (Sorry, sold the boat, have to look hard to find exact info).

I installed a safety switch to disable the CC when the Ram was physically disconnected from the tiller (long story).

If I used the disable/standby circuit of the Ray CC, energizing this switch caused the CC to reboot, taking a long time to come back online.

At least for my purpose (disable the Ram rather than the CC) I relayed the power supply to the Ram, and left the CC running.

Much better overall.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 17:58   #8

Quote:
It does, but software based, I need a hardware disconnect redundancy
OK, I get that

I had a look at the installation manual and although it doesn't give a much fine detail, it states the AP drive unit uses 36 watts at 12V. I am guessing most of this is by the motor rather than the clutch.

It should be straightforward to interrupt one leg of the clutch circuit and one leg of the motor circuit with 2 pole switch. I would chose a 2 pole switch that is good for at least 5 amps but more if possible (say >8 amps). One pole of the switch should interrupt the clutch circuit and the other pole should interrupt the motor circuit. It does't matter which side of each circuit you interrupt.

The install manual gives you the necessary wire sizes depending on length of run.

You would find a suitable Eaton switch here https://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...gles/index.htm

You could fit a missile switch cover guard if you felt it was necessary https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278

I have on idea what the autopilot controller will do when it realises the drive unit is not responding to it's commands but that isn't part of your question. The drive will be safe though!
Old 27-06-2020, 00:11   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, I get that

I had a look at the installation manual and although it doesn't give a much fine detail, it states the AP drive unit uses 36 watts at 12V. I am guessing most of this is by the motor rather than the clutch.

It should be straightforward to interrupt one leg of the clutch circuit and one leg of the motor circuit with 2 pole switch. I would chose a 2 pole switch that is good for at least 5 amps but more if possible (say >8 amps). One pole of the switch should interrupt the clutch circuit and the other pole should interrupt the motor circuit. It does't matter which side of each circuit you interrupt.

The install manual gives you the necessary wire sizes depending on length of run.

You would find a suitable Eaton switch here https://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...gles/index.htm

You could fit a missile switch cover guard if you felt it was necessary https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278

I have on idea what the autopilot controller will do when it realises the drive unit is not responding to it's commands but that isn't part of your question. The drive will be safe though!

What do you think the pypilot AP controller will do?
Old 27-06-2020, 01:04   #10

Quote:
What do you think the pypilot AP controller will do?
Opps... There was a typo in my previous reply. It should have read "I have no idea what the autopilot controller will do when it realises the drive unit is not responding to it's commands...".

It might do nothing or it might alarm or it might shut down but probably whatever happens, it won't break it.

Tags
autopilot