Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2012, 19:08   #16

Boat: Tayana 55
Re: Backup Generator

even laid abovedecks be careful of CO downdrafting through a hatch or the companionway. Only way I would sleep with it running is if it was in the dinghy behind the boat.
Ocean Cowbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:18   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Cowbuoy View Post
even laid abovedecks be careful of CO downdrafting through a hatch or the companionway. Only way I would sleep with it running is if it was in the dinghy behind the boat.
Doubt anyone could sleep with the noise and vibration from that type of genset.

Look up CATMANDO's threads. He is is looking for a solution for similar issue.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-86393.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-89045.html
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:26   #18

Boat: csy 37

i've had a honda 1000 for six years now and it's served me well. i only use it to charge batteries - it easily drives my 35 amp charger, would probably run a 45 amp charger if i had one. i store it in the lazarette after running it out of gas. for your purposes you will probably need the 2000. it's only a bit more expensive than the 1000 so don't let price be a factor.

and no installation required! just plug it into your shore power plug! instead of some barely safe or legal semi permanent install of an el cheapo generator that will gas you to death some hot georgia night.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:28   #19

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Doubt anyone could sleep with the noise and vibration from that type of genset.

Look up CATMANDO's threads. He is is looking for a solution for similar issue.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-86393.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-89045.html
I don't have a diesel, so those options don't work for me.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:37   #20

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Cowbuoy View Post
The way my boat is set up, the stern locker does not connect at all with the cabin. It is essentially dry storage to help make use of the dead space at my stern. I'm thinking I'm not explaining what I was planning well enough. I'm going to have a screen made to fit over the deck hatch while it's running to pull in fresh air (obviously, I'm not going to use this while I'm underway). For the exhaust, I was planning on using a high temp hose to route the exhaust below the waterline.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 05:47   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
It sounds like your mind is made up. But do yourself a favor first. Rent a similar generator to what you propose and set it on the deck of the boat. it'll be so loud and hot you'll think to yourself there's no way I can put this below decks!!
Putting a hose on the exhaust and running it below the water won't do anything but add a bubble note to the noise.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 05:59   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I don't know which exact model portable you are looking at but I've parked next to RVs with generators installed and they were pretty loud. Take it to heart the advice that running one of these will make very unpopular at any anchorage.

The Honda EU2000 is really what you want. Wise sales online they're about $900, more than you were planning but in this case you absolutely get what you pay for. The Honda is very quiet and bullet proof reliable.

Regarding the ability to run your AirCon, the only problem you may have would be when the compressor first kicks in which increases the power draw dramatically. Some aircons may be double or triple the power draw. BUT, this is very short term and if not dramatically over the Honda's constant output rating the Honda should be able to handle the short term startup power.

If not you have two options. You can buy various devices that reduce the startup draw on the generator, either a smart soft start unit or a big power cap. Next option is to buy an inverter with an automatic power boost feature like the Victron. They can sense the power draw on you generator and temporarily kick in extra power from the inverter to supplement the generator until the aircon is up to speed. The Victrons aren't cheap but you will then also have a first class, true sine wave inverter to use for other gadgets.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 06:15   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

An RV genny is designed to move a LOT of air. There is no way you could provide the required airflow without seriously compromising the seaworthyness of your hull. Even leaving the locker lid open will not provide the ventilation required as most RV gennys exhaust hot air DOWN. Secondly none of the RV units are ignition protected.

Like most others, I use the Honda..... If you need more power, parallel two of them. They are time-proven on THOUSANDS of boats.
Old 14-09-2012, 07:22   #24

Boat: Tatoosh 42/44

+ 1 with the Honda 2000
Perfect to recharge the battery, run the Mermaid 6.500 BTU ac, and, really important to me... easy to take to the shore if I need energy for some project in a remote place.
S.V Brava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 07:46   #25

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee Wizz guy ! Honda also make a 3000 i genny which will do the job for ya !! put in the rear locker and use the boom to bring it on deck when ya need it !! you will kill your self messing around with a set up like your talking about !! if it's the money your worried about then you are being penny wise and dollar foolish ! whats your life worth!! just sayin do things right the first time !! and save some bucks !!!
Old 14-09-2012, 14:39   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

gee big cummins 1000KW genny's burn up when they don't get enough air flow around generator, even with a radiator. Seen that happen. That was an oops for one telco pop site.

Putting the HD air cooled generator in a locker with a screen over it, is not going to do it. You would need a BIG fan to move air around it too. Plus that puppy is going to be one noisy Bas**.... er that is generator.

Bobconnie has it right, Get the Honda 3K if you need to run the AC. It costs more, but its alot quieter and sips gas.

I would not run the genny while sleeping, tide changes, wind shifts could put the exhaust fumes back in your cabin. Sadly People die every year that way.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 14:49   #27

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Hey all. I am looking at installing a backup generator to by boat. I currently have an Air-x wind generator to help keep things charged. Like I said, I don't want it for full time use, just for emergency use or occasionally to run my a/c unit o ff of (not sure if it will, but want to give it a try). Plus, I don't want to spend $3000+ for a dedicated generator. I can do this for roughly $500. Ideas?
Simply not possible for $500. A/c comes at a cost and safety should not be compromised. Least cost with safety comes with a suitable Honda as many have suggested.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator