Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 15:44   #1

Boat: Allied 39
Balmar Alt Temp Sensor to short

I have a old Balmar Alternator Temp sensor that I want to use on my Balmar regulator ARS-4

The wire is to short and I need to add another 5' to the wire length.

Repeated emails to Balmar have gone unanswered

Will the temp sensor wire still work if I add 5' to its length?

Thanks

Chuck
Old 01-06-2018, 16:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is this 5’ extra to the already full length, or is this one used and was cut short and your returning it to close to original length?
Either way I see no reason it won’t work, the thing can’t carry much power if it’s works the way I think it does, however you want to be very careful not to add any resistance, if it works they way I think it does.

Oh, and pretty sure you can call them too. I have called myself before, once anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 16:14   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Balmar Alt Temp Sensor to short

Yes, it will work just fine!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 17:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is this 5’ extra to the already full length, or is this one used and was cut short and your returning it to close to original length?
Either way I see no reason it won’t work, the thing can’t carry much power if it’s works the way I think it does, however you want to be very careful not to add any resistance, if it works they way I think it does.

Oh, and pretty sure you can call them too. I have called myself before, once anyway.
Its 5' longer(extra) than the new one.

Indeed I may call them from Tahiti.
Old 01-06-2018, 18:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK I’m not real smart, but I’m pretty sure there are ways to use Internet telephony and it only cost a small amount of data to make a phone call.

I think, but am not positive that the temp sensor works by varying resistance, it could be a thermocouple I guess, but I wouldn’t think so.
Either way, a poor splice will make it read incorrectly, so be sure the splice and the wire ends are bright and clean, and ideally heat shrunk and hot glue to prevent future corrosion.
I’d stay with the same gauge wire.

If you do it, you can of course watch voltage output to make sure it’s real close to what it is set for, I doubt where you are there should be much temp compensation. If it changes the set point by much at all, it didn’t work.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 00:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK I’m not real smart, but I’m pretty sure there are ways to use Internet telephony and it only cost a small amount of data to make a phone call.

I think, but am not positive that the temp sensor works by varying resistance, it could be a thermocouple I guess, but I wouldn’t think so.
Either way, a poor splice will make it read incorrectly, so be sure the splice and the wire ends are bright and clean, and ideally heat shrunk and hot glue to prevent future corrosion.
I’d stay with the same gauge wire.

If you do it, you can of course watch voltage output to make sure it’s real close to what it is set for, I doubt where you are there should be much temp compensation. If it changes the set point by much at all, it didn’t work.

I will try the splice thanks

Regarding the internet here in Raiatea well let’s say it redefines poor internet. We start getting excited when we see the mps rise more than .10 (Yes that .10). )))

Cheers
Old 02-06-2018, 04:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

1) as long as you don't introduce resistance to the circuit you can indeed lengthen a resistor based temp probe (same for fridge ones)

2) good crimps and heat shrink are the key

3) I'm surprised you couldn't reach Balmar by phone, they provide very good tech support. We keep a 'skype out' account that lets us call any phone in the world from our 'US' number via Skype, VERY reasonable and there are other similar systems...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
1) as long as you don't introduce resistance to the circuit you can indeed lengthen a resistor/thermister based temp probe (same for fridge ones)...
Balmar's Alt Temp Sensor is a Thermister type.
https://www.scribd.com/document/2714...-Sensor-Manual
Because thermistors have a high nominal resistance, lead-wire resistance (length) does not appreciably affect the accuracy of their measurements.
In addition to the 54" model, Balmar also has a Battery Temperature Sensor with 20 Ft. lead.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/balma...ecs-_-DY-_-PDP

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
1) as long as you don't introduce resistance to the circuit you can indeed lengthen a resistor based temp probe (same for fridge ones)

2) good crimps and heat shrink are the key

3) I'm surprised you couldn't reach Balmar by phone, they provide very good tech support. We keep a 'skype out' account that lets us call any phone in the world from our 'US' number via Skype, VERY reasonable and there are other similar systems...
Thanks Scott

#2 We also have a skype account but you have to have decent internet --band width here is very very poor
Old 02-06-2018, 12:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Balmar's Alt Temp Sensor is a Thermister type.
https://www.scribd.com/document/2714...-Sensor-Manual
Because thermistors have a high nominal resistance, lead-wire resistance (length) does not appreciably affect the accuracy of their measurements.
In addition to the 54" model, Balmar also has a Battery Temperature Sensor with 20 Ft. lead.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/balma...ecs-_-DY-_-PDP
Thanks Gord - We will lengthen the one we have in hand.
Old 02-06-2018, 13:27   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

As has been stated extending it is fine. The batt temp and alt temp sensors are the same other than wire length and the hole sizes in the lugs..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
As has been stated extending it is fine. The batt temp and alt temp sensors are the same other than wire length and the hole sizes in the lugs..
Thanks for the link
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar