Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 05:19   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Balmar Alternator Protection Module (APM)

Thanks SoonerSailor

Littlefuse TVS Load Dump Transiant Protection

This could also protect your Alternator I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
I opened mine. A TVS (avalanche diode) with supporting circuitry to indicate it is intact with a flashing LED. I don’t recall the part number, it was Littlefuse brand, unipolar, 15kW peak pulse capability, with a stand-off voltage around 20 or 22 Volts, I don’t remember which.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 20:17   #17

Sorry to revive an old thread but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask.

@witzgall I'm comparing the Stirling APD12 with your Balmar APM-12 and have a couple questions.

First is regarding waterproofing. Stirling is rated IP68, Balmer says "ASTM B117 for Salt Spray/Fog" but I'm not sure what IP rating that equates to? Sounds like IP55?

Also it's interesting the Stirling instructions specifically say to remove your existing cables from the alternator and place the cables going to the APD underneath them. Their rationale is if the nut vibrates loose and the power cable falls off the stud (which would cause a spike in the spinning alternator), the APD will be the last to go and will still provide protection.

This seems contrary to your advice earlier in this thread about mounting on TOP of any existing lugs. I'm guessing to do it the Stirling way you'd need to make sure the lugs you used are sized large enough to handle the full current coming off the alternator (so big lugs attached to small wires, not sure if that's a thing).
rkagerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 02:37   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkagerer View Post
First is regarding waterproofing. Stirling is rated IP68, Balmer says "ASTM B117 for Salt Spray/Fog" but I'm not sure what IP rating that equates to? Sounds like IP55...
The typical standards for “salt fog” corrosion tests are IEC 60068–2–11, and ASTM B117. [as well as SAE J2334, ISO 9227, EN 1670, JIS Z 2371, DIN 50021, ASTM B 117, NEMA 250, UL 50E, ASTM G 85, ASTM B 368, and other standards]

The majority of electrical enclosure testing is conducted to one [of four] ingress protection test standards.
The first is the International standard: “IP”, per The International Electrotechnical Commission [IEC] 60529.
The second is the The National Electrical Manufacturers Association standard [North American]: “NEMA”, per NEMA 250.

The third and fourth are UL 50 and UL 50E. Each of these testing standards has a definition of protection. NEMA 250 and the UL standards also outline design requirements.
AFIK, the ASTM doesn't have a comparable enclosure rating system.

“NEMA” ratings take into account ingress protection of solid foreign objects and water [and gasses], along with other specifics such as design details, and corrosion resistance; whereas “IP” ratings lack the gas pfrotection, anti-corrosive element that “NEMA” type enclosures have.
All that to say, NEMA ratings are equivalent to IP ratings, however, IP ratings are not equivalent to NEMA.
Because NEMA and IP systems use different testing parameters, they are not easily converted or directly comparable.

While close, the equivalencies of NEMA and IP should be used as a guide, not a rule.

“IP68" is commonly compared with “NEMA 6P”.

IP67: Protection from submersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins

IP68: Protection from submersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (no definitive time frame)

NEMA 4X – Protection against ingress of dust and hoesdown or splashing water. [The “X” indicates corrosion protection]

NEMA 6: Protection against occasional temporary submersion at a limited depth. Per UL-50, the 6 Temporary Submersion testing is done at a depth of 6' for a 30-minute period.

NEMA 6P: Protection against prolonged submersion at limited depth in water. Per UL-50, the 6P Prolonged Submersion testing is done at a depth of 6' for a 24-hour period.

* NEMA: The National Electrical Manufacturers Association [North America], per NEMA 250.
* “IP”: The International Electrotechnical Commission [IEC], per international standard IEC 60529.

More:
“Enclosures for electrical equipment” ➥ https://tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/box...nformation.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 05:22   #19

Boat: Hunter 340

I installed Balmar's APM 2 years ago. Easy to install and no problems at all!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, balmar, rot