Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 16:24   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner
Balmar ARS-5 failure

In 2016 I bought a Balmar 612 regulator and installed it behind a 120A alternator charging a 400 AH Gell bank. Shortly afterwards, I replaced the Gell batteries with AGMs. In 2014, after 3 years on the hard, I replaced the old alternator with an Electromaax 120A alternator with the serpentine belt system. Last February the Balmar 612 failed, and I replaced it with a Balmar ARS-5. This has just failed, less than a year into service. I'm wondering about switching away from Balmar to something else, but am unsure about the relative quality and reliability. The advantage of replacing the failed one is obviously the price - no charge - but I really don't want to put in a piece of crucial equipment that I can't trust. What if any other regulators would anyoone recommend, and why? Has anyone else had a Balmar ARS-5 fail so quickly?
Thanks,
Roger
rogern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 16:32   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Balmar ARS-5 failure

When you say installed behind the alternator do you mean this literally? They should not be mounted in the heat of the engine room.
Old 03-01-2017, 16:45   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I just replaced a 8 year old ARS-5 on a boat I manage that has a 100 amp Balmar alternator. The reason I replaced it was because the tach output wasn't working and the owner wanted it to. When I went to replace it I noticed a large crack down the center of it. It was still charging the batteries, LED display still working etc just the tach output had failed. In your shoes I would put another ARS-5 on it and buy a cheaper external regulator as a backup if you are concerned like this http://www.markgrasser.com/regulator.htm
Shortly after I replaced the ARS-5 the alternator failed and I replaced that with a Mark Grasser alternator that I purchased through Cruise RO, Rich on here and received tremendous service!! http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com...ternators.html
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 17:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I had an ARS-5 fail en route through the Okeechobee Waterway on our way to the Bahamas. I called Balmar, and they had a replacement waiting for me in Stuart about 30 hours later. Their units fail, but I suppose everyone's do at one time or another, and I was very happy with their support.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 17:33   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The only ones I've seen fail were in the heat of the engine compartment.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar