Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2021, 05:54   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Balmar MC-618 new item

I’m wondering if anyone here has installed one of the new 618 voltage regulators.
I’m pretty happy with the performance etc of my 614. It looks like to only difference is that the new model can be programmed and monitored with the app or the SG 200 monitor. Although simple is usually better information is nice to have too.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 06:21   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Balmar MC-618 new item

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
I’m wondering if anyone here has installed one of the new 618 voltage regulators.
I’m pretty happy with the performance etc of my 614. It looks like to only difference is that the new model can be programmed and monitored with the app or the SG 200 monitor. Although simple is usually better information is nice to have too.
In 30 years of setting up and programming all sorts of integrated industrial type equipment, the Balmar is the most difficult and crazy hard piece of hardware to configure I have ever seen. Dip switches would be easier. Jumpers would have been easier. A three wire connection to a PC running a terminal application would be easier. Using 3 reeds switches in an up/down/select configuration would be easier. A better LED display would be easier. I don't think they could have made it more difficult if they tried. Even after doing it several times both for myself and a few friends, I consider it a 2 person job, one operating the magnet, and the other flipping through the manual reciting what to expect and when to activate the reed switch. The one I did a few weekends ago took 2 of us over an hour. It was asinine in 2010.

Now, in 2021, they release the next version. I was looking forward to be able to easily adjust it, check error codes, monitor voltages, temps, etc. Functions that are available on just about every other piece of electronics released in the past 10 years. The 618 requires the SG-200 and an option Bluetooth gateway to use the app, otherwise it is no different than the older version. Huge fail. That add over $200 to the cost, just to get what really should be basic out of the box functionality.

When the time comes I need to replace my current regulator, I will be looking elsewhere. Even if I ever need to change the programming in it, I'll probably replace it.
Old 30-06-2021, 08:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
In 30 years of setting up and programming all sorts of integrated industrial type equipment, the Balmar is the most difficult and crazy hard piece of hardware to configure I have ever seen............

It's really not that hard if you plan ahead:

Programming a Balmar Voltage Regulator: (Thanks to Maine Sail)
https://marinehowto.com/programming-...age-regulator/
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 09:09   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It's really not that hard if you plan ahead:

Programming a Balmar Voltage Regulator: (Thanks to Maine Sail)
https://marinehowto.com/programming-...age-regulator/
I have to disagree. I do plan ahead. I have read that article. I write down what all the settings I need to change and the order to change them. I try and have a friend, so one can operate the device while another is reading notes prepared in advance.

Then while going through it, then display spits out something unexpected (the programming has changed slightly with different software versions) fumble the manual, then get kicked out of programming mode. Then go through the whole procedure to get into programming mode again.

Then miss a setting, because I don't remember what the hundred or so codes mean, and had to fumble the manual, wait for it to got around again, and hope I don't get kicked out of programming mode-again.

Repeat about 10 times.

Then spend another 15 minutes going through all the programming levels writing everything down so I can confirm it is right. Then go back to step one to fix the things that still aren't correct.

It is very difficult, even with 2 people, one reading the display out loud and actuating the reed switch, and another with notes and the manual. The one I did a few weeks ago was for a Lithium bank a friend was replacing, as the tech that originally installed the battery didn't setup the regulator and smoked his bank. It was an older model, without a Lithium preset, meaning that most settings needed changing, it wasn't just chose the battery type. It was very difficult.

I could see a professional that did one or two of them a week getting good and almost reasonably fast with it. But for it to be as difficult as it is, for any electronic device built since about 1980, is an embarrassment. The additional parts for a better interface are pennies.

I have setup other electronics that have hundreds of settings in confusing menus, require 30+ dip switches, that require connecting to a computer and using obscure commands, that require programming and replacing a PROM, etc. etc. Nothing I have seen comes close to as difficult as that regulator.
Old 30-06-2021, 10:29   #5
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

The 614 could win the all world award for bad design. I have dealt with mine for 6 years with a uniformly frustrating experience every time I touch it. If Balmar was capable of shame they would be.
I would be very interested in anyones experience with competitive regulators.
Tom
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 12:28   #6

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

I have to agree with the overall negative views of the new 618. I purchased thinking the Bluetooth connectivity would make programming much simpler compared to my previous MC 612 model. As others have noted, the BT functionality is not embedded in the 618; you have to connect through a Balmar SG 200 battery monitor to gain programming functions. I was fortunate to already have that monitor, but I still had to purchase a separate cable for $50. When connected, programming is not intuitive. There are lots of useful settings though and my 612 was still running strong after many years of use. If I could start over, I would look at other options rather than Balmar if ease of programming is a key consideration. I guess I have become spoiled by the excellent Victron electrical systems I have onboard. If you are still focused on a Balmar, you might consider ordering the 618 through Compass Marine (MarineHowTo.com storefront) and see if they will program the device before shipping to you.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 13:34   #7

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

I too have a 614 regulator, and while I agree that it’s certainly not plug and play, I really didn’t find it that difficult to program. I used the “cheat sheet” that marine compass has generously allowed anyone to download and went at it. Maybe I spent a totally of 15 minutes. Besides, how often do you need to reprogram your regulator? I’m thinking one and done.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 18:28   #8

I have memorized the mc614 and easily do it now. Including advanced mode and custom vintages and times etc. But it was hard for a while. It’s too bad they can’t make the new one Bluetooth direct. Like every new Victron product.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 18:28   #9

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I have the 618 and the SG200 and I love the setup. I can check on my tablet from the cockpit what the alternator is doing as well as what is going into the batteries. If I can set this stuff up anyone should be able to.

I am still on the fence about how accurate the SG200 State of Health algorithm is but the rest of the set up is far better than the old magnetic screw driver.
Mike Crothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 19:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crothers View Post
I am still on the fence about how accurate the SG200 State of Health algorithm is but the rest of the set up is far better than the old magnetic screw driver.
I am not at all on the fence about the SG200 State of Health algorithm. It is garbage.

I had one, and it kept reporting my batteries were at 100% SOH. Never 99% Never 101% Always the same. I called Balmar tech service, (several times) and their answer was that I have really good batteries, and not to worry. I believed them. Stupid me.

What actually happened was one battery in the bank had developed an internal short and was killing the rest of them. No clue from the SOH reading on the SG200 which just kept telling me "Don't worry! Be happy!". Only when I just happened to notice one battery was really hot did I get a clue. By that time the entire bank was toast, less than 30% capacity and no recovery possible. Thanks Balmar--for costing me $2K.

If I had seen the problem at the start, I could have removed the bad battery and all would have been fine. Instead I was led down the garden path by an instrument that was not doing what it was advertised to do.

I would have been better off without the SG200 because I would have been looking for those kinds of problems in other ways. Instead I trusted a piece of kit that promised "magic" results. As an engineer I should have known better. Never again will I trust a product when the manufacturer is unwilling, or unable, to tell me exactly how it works.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 22:49   #11

I have a Balmar MC 612 Dual. And yes, getting on top of the advanced programming needs time & patience. But once done, its done!

I'm curious if anyone has installed a Wakespeed. You can order via MarineHowTo, so I figure that Rod is giving them some kind of thumbs up.

Wakespeed Products
Old 30-06-2021, 23:00   #12

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

I made the switch to wakespeed. It’s been a tremendous success for me. I used the balmoral wiring harness to make the connections, and this was the most tricky party. I’m consistently seeing better charging and I can program the thing with a few dip switches.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 14:54   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post
I made the switch to wakespeed. It’s been a tremendous success for me. I used the balmoral wiring harness to make the connections, and this was the most tricky party. I’m consistently seeing better charging and I can program the thing with a few dip switches.
Which alternator are you using? I have an ARS-5. I should have bought the MC-614 for voltage sensing. Now looking to change and but am rethinking going with the MC- series.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:02   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

hi..

I have used the balmar regulator and alternator for 25 years on two different boats. My biggest issue is the wiring from the internal regulated boat alternator and switching over to the balmar alternator. Once I figure the wiring out by reading the instructions a few times and going on the web to see what the alternator wiring symbols mean ....the rest was much easier including programming.
The other problem I had is making sure the new alternator alignment are correct....I lost a belt over that and the next belt skipped a few grooves and started making a slit on the radiator hose. That was my fault for assuming it was an easy plug and play with their harness.

abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:10   #15

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Which alternator are you using? I have an ARS-5. I should have bought the MC-614 for voltage sensing. Now looking to change and but am rethinking going with the MC- series.
6 series 100 amp balmar alternator. Now, after however many months with the Wakespeed I have been even more impressed with its ability to deliver high current until the temperature rises. Even after it gets hot I'm seeing consistently better charging with the Wakespeed. The biggest issue resolved was a type of surging on/off I'd get with the balmar controller that's totally gone with the Wakespeed. Also, with the current sensor the solar and alternator are working much better together.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar