Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2024, 02:13   #1

Boat: 38 decksaloon
Balmar regulator to switch off solar charging

Balmar FAQ recommends to stop hydro, wind and solar charging to mitigate ”conflict” between alternator/regulator and other chargers.

I am looking into one option, using Dash Lamp terminal (Balmar MC 618 #17) to stop Victron MPPT solar regulator via Victron RX cable.

Anyone using similar method to stop solar charging while running engine/alternator?

Tips about other methods to mitigate conflict between alternator and solar system?

Believe the engine charging alarms can be prevented by setting ”bdl=off” but then my believe is that the battery charging will get fewer Amp hrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	291032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	291033  

skippeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:49   #2

Re: Balmar regulator to switch off solar charging

I have never disconnected solar when charging. They all work together: solar, alternators, genset, etc. If your V is high because you have a lot of sun, the alternator will see this and decrease its V but they all add to the battery. Just triple check the V the different controllers are seeing and at what stage they switch from Bulk to Absorption and to Idle so you get what you want. Good luck
alamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:34   #3

Boat: 38 decksaloon

The issue is when the Balmar regulator measure a high voltage due to solar charging it believs no charging is needed.

Have now changed solar bulk/abs to 14.1 volt.
Balmar setup 14.2 volt.

Also disable voltage monitoring bdL OFF
avoiding all the beeps from engine panel.
Balmar stop charging to measure voltage now and when.
skippeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:36   #4

The "trick" with this issue has been discussed and resolved by Maine Sail decades ago. The concept is to set the setpoint voltages of the regulator and your solar controller to different values, rather than turning one completely off which reduces/eliminates that source from providing any input. Because I do not have an extensive solar array I have not bookmarked the solution, but I'm sure others here have.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 14:15   #5

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

A friend's boat had an issue where once the battery was fully charged, and the sun suddenly came out, the time delay in the (older) solar regulator would allow the voltage to spike upward, which set off the high voltage detection and shut down their Balmar regulator (which also set off the "alternator" dash light).
The solution was to move the solar connection closer to the battery, which damped out the spike.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, charging, regulator, solar