Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 03:23   #151
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Balmar SG-200 Battery Monitor

It has a display instead of nmea2000 port... I have all the displays at every location, just need data sources. Maretron still ahead the others?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:51   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Whats the latest on SOH accuracy?
Are the units performing as specified by Balmar?
A "snip" from an email regarding testing of the SG200:

Flooded Lead Acid:

"did another 10.5V capacity test last night and the 130Ah rated DC FLA is delivering 103.53Ah. This puts it at about 79% SOH. The SG200 is displaying 81% SOH."

Another snip for LiFePO4:

"CALB SE-100Ah 4S - Tested Capacity 87.7Ah
All Charging = 0.3C Based on Rated Capacity
All Discharging = 0 .1C Based on Marine Use Simulation
SG200 SOH Currently Reading 88% (actual 87.7% SOH)"

I ripped out my own LINK-PRO and an SG200 in now going to replace it..
Old 01-03-2019, 08:55   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It has a display instead of nmea2000 port... I have all the displays at every location, just need data sources. Maretron still ahead the others?

There is talk about a NMEA2000 gateway, but given that the bluetooth gateway hasn't been released yet, i wouldn't hold my breath on NMEA2000 for a while.

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20   #154
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
There is talk about a NMEA2000 gateway, but given that the bluetooth gateway hasn't been released yet, i wouldn't hold my breath on NMEA2000 for a while.

Allan.
I'm not even talking about a gateway... I want no display at all. Every modern display should be able to show SOC etc. and some can do way better than that so all we need is a little black box that sits out of sight, without it's display going bad or consuming mAh, sending N2K updates
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 14:29   #155

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Information from Chris:

See this thread Lifepo4 capacity test

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2860892

Quote:
We don't use Puekert for anything but the time remaining calculations.

The taper current and charge voltage are used to flag charge termination.
Assuming a learned battery:
When charge termination occurs, the SoC is set to 100%. However, if this was perhaps premature, the SoC will be downward adjusted after a bit of discharge. So while we technically have a synchronization event, in the context of PSOC cycling and SoC accuracy during most of the usage time it is irrelevant.

Concerning knowing the # of cycles needed to show when the system has learned the monitored batteries, consider that we start off with information leaned from batteries in our lab, AGM, Flooded, Carbon foam, etc.

Comparing these batteries to the actual ones being monitored, they could have:
Different physical build
Slightly different chemistry
Different capacity
Different age/condition
Different charge/discharge methods and rates.

While we have done tons of testing and analysis in the lab, and continue to do so (We had a tech working second shift/weekends over a year just to manage the process) we don't have enough information to fill in the blanks and say "Your batteries will take exactly X number of cycles to learn." What the learning process does do is allow for the flexibility to work with such a broad range of highly variable installations.

SoH: If the manufacturer's 20/hr rate is underrated, the SoH will just sit at 100% until the actual capacity falls below the stated capacity. If you test your installation (using accepted methods) to exceed the stated capacity, you can adjust the design capacity in the SG200.

Our goals for the SG200 were fairly simple. We wanted to add SoH, and that required a shunt. We know of no way to do it without one. And we wanted to take as much of the mystery of battery monitoring out.

Chris

and later he says:

Quote:
We do state that most batteries take from 2-6 cycles to learn.

Chris
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:50   #156

Boat: Amel 50

Not to take away from this thread, but Relion has a battery indicator, which works with Lithium, and looks very much like the Xantrex LinkPRO or LinkLITE battery monitor. From what I can tell, the Relion battery indicator does not have a menu item to set the battery type.

I found this product while looking for a Lithium battery monitor that fits my electrical panel, which has the Xantrex monitor. I have not used it and do not know how good it is.

Relion Lithium battery monitor

Battery Chargers | LinkLITE Battery Monitor | Xantrex

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 16:57   #157

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm not even talking about a gateway... I want no display at all. Every modern display should be able to show SOC etc. and some can do way better than that so all we need is a little black box that sits out of sight, without it's display going bad or consuming mAh, sending N2K updates
I agree....with your budget.
For me I just bought a SG200 to replace the unreliable Chinese V/A coulomb counter that just went berserk.
I'm too lazy to do all the mental machinations and the SG200 wiil
be a perfect fit.
Value for money if it lasts.
Ill put another small Ammeter in the cockpit (hall sensor variety) as thats all I need there. SG200 inside at Nav table.
Taper-tail current is what I'm mostly interested in. And their calculated SOC , possibly SOH for amusement.
If and when I go LiFePo4, none of it will be for amusement...haa!
It all becomes deadly serious.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:04   #158

The Relion Battery Indicator looks like it might be a very reasonable choice. Thank you for including it here. It appears to be an improvement on the Link AH series and includes a current shunt, and showing V, A, Ah and Capacity%.

It states an accuracy of +/-1% for voltage, current and capacity.
If anyone purchases this please report your experience here. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:54   #159
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
The Relion Battery Indicator looks like it might be a very reasonable choice. Thank you for including it here. It appears to be an improvement on the Link AH series and includes a current shunt, and showing V, A, Ah and Capacity%.

It states an accuracy of +/-1% for voltage, current and capacity.
If anyone purchases this please report your experience here. Thanks.
Looks like a copy of a Link 10 or similar. I wouldn't expect it to be any different.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:00   #160

Mitiempo wrote:
Looks like a copy of a Link 10 or similar. I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

I agree it does look like Link10. but why jump to conclusions, I would like to hear from users or learn more, it does have a shunt, but most importantly how does it use this new info?

Is it just reporting or does it use it for interpretation/ calcs?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:10   #161
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Maybe just me, but shouldn't this thread be maintained as useful for those interested in SG200?

I suggest starting a new one to collect info on this Renogy unit, compare to Link.

Or resurrect an older more general BM thread?

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...isersforum.com
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:32   #162

John I agree and hope the poster will do as you suggest.
(I am the OP of this thread.)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19   #163

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Received my SG200 today. Unfortunately it needs to be returned. One of the mounting studs was so galled that the SS nut wouldn't even unscrew without undue force. Further the screen has a noticeable mark under the screen protective plastic.

Hopefully I just got a bad one, looking forward to a replacement and eventual install.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24   #164

Eleven pages in and Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd post here. Based on what I read, the SG200 should be able to operate as an ammeter and AH counter, but does not (currently)provide this data.

I am looking for a solution - I bought the original Balmar Smartgauge right before they announced the SG200 and haven't installed it yet. (anyone in the market for an uninstalled Smartgauge?) I am looking for a couple of solutions - 1. Monitor my battery bank SoC and 2. Understand the consumption on my boat. Our house bank died during a short cruise last summer (2yr old boat with AGMs) I'd like to better understand what each component (refrigeration, autopilot, navigation) actually consume during a sail/cruise.

I would like to pick up the SG-200 once it comes back in stock but do I also need a simple Ammeter or counter?

I've considered the clamp meter approach but i think it would only provide an 'at the moment' measurement, without the ups and downs (like when the fridge compressor kicks in). I would be good to develop an understanding of how much we are using for when I have to replace this bank. Appreciate your advice.
barold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:31   #165

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by barold View Post
Eleven pages in and Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd post here. Based on what I read, the SG200 should be able to operate as an ammeter and AH counter, but does not (currently)provide this data.

I am looking for a solution - I bought the original Balmar Smartgauge right before they announced the SG200 and haven't installed it yet. (anyone in the market for an uninstalled Smartgauge?) I am looking for a couple of solutions - 1. Monitor my battery bank SoC and 2. Understand the consumption on my boat. Our house bank died during a short cruise last summer (2yr old boat with AGMs) I'd like to better understand what each component (refrigeration, autopilot, navigation) actually consume during a sail/cruise.

I would like to pick up the SG-200 once it comes back in stock but do I also need a simple Ammeter or counter?

I've considered the clamp meter approach but i think it would only provide an 'at the moment' measurement, without the ups and downs (like when the fridge compressor kicks in). I would be good to develop an understanding of how much we are using for when I have to replace this bank. Appreciate your advice.
Check the battery monitors from Victron or Xantrex.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar, battery, monitor