Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 06:43   #481

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Balmar SG-200 Battery Monitor

Well I did it again. I had to remove one of my 6V batteries to install a Victron MPPT controller. When I did the monitor shut down. When I added in the solar panel and Victron was outputting 12V the SG200 booted up to firmware screen. I clicked OK and it went to 0% SoC, and I think SoH was 100%.

As I looked through history, it had saved my history from before so was puzzled why it was reading 0% SoC. The voltages were correct and I started cycling on loads to get it to move. Zippo.

So I sighed and reprogrammed it with fresh bank and capacity again. As soon as I did it went to 72% SoC which is about what I remember from previous. SoH reset but that's OK.

Hopefully this is my last reset lol. I am interested to see how the 80W panel on my aft deck (removeable easily) can keep SoC close to 100% while on mooring with no loads.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:26   #482
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

If you pulled one of the 6v batteries so that the shunt was still powered but seeing 6v (even for a moment), it would have gone to 0% SoC, as that is well below the termination voltage for a 12v system. The SG200 will run on as little as 5v.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Well I did it again. I had to remove one of my 6V batteries to install a Victron MPPT controller. When I did the monitor shut down. When I added in the solar panel and Victron was outputting 12V the SG200 booted up to firmware screen. I clicked OK and it went to 0% SoC, and I think SoH was 100%.

As I looked through history, it had saved my history from before so was puzzled why it was reading 0% SoC. The voltages were correct and I started cycling on loads to get it to move. Zippo.

So I sighed and reprogrammed it with fresh bank and capacity again. As soon as I did it went to 72% SoC which is about what I remember from previous. SoH reset but that's OK.

Hopefully this is my last reset lol. I am interested to see how the 80W panel on my aft deck (removeable easily) can keep SoC close to 100% while on mooring with no loads.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:11   #483

Interesting. Went on a 9 day cruise, solar charging and under 3 hours engine time (no shore, generator, etc)

Battery SoH prior was 90%
Battery SoH after 7 days 100%

Boat is on a mooring and the fridge stays on most of the time, and during the cruise the additional loads of living and charging accessories, autopilot, etc...

These are older batteries (7-8 years, with limited use during that time)
Only had 2 days where the solar did not top up to 100% SOC and reach float on the MPPT, and no cycle was under 78% SOC. The batteries were never disconnected, as that will reset the meter. hmmmm.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 14:50   #484

Boat: Delphia 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
Interesting. Went on a 9 day cruise, solar charging and under 3 hours engine time (no shore, generator, etc)

Battery SoH prior was 90%
Battery SoH after 7 days 100%

Boat is on a mooring and the fridge stays on most of the time, and during the cruise the additional loads of living and charging accessories, autopilot, etc...

These are older batteries (7-8 years, with limited use during that time)
Only had 2 days where the solar did not top up to 100% SOC and reach float on the MPPT, and no cycle was under 78% SOC. The batteries were never disconnected, as that will reset the meter. hmmmm.
How many cycles were completed to form the original SoH of 90%
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:33   #485

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Yep, my SG200 SOH on four year old batteries is not accurate after 5 cycles.
Reading 100%, when should be 90% +_ .
It started out at 90%, then went to ----, then 100%
Ah well, the other variables *seem* accurate.
Especially the SOC hitting 100% when tail current is 4.5A's.
Because thats where I set it.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:27   #486
Marine Service Provider

Lateral,

If you went from 90% to dashes, you either reset, changed chemistry (Or even re-selected the same chem) or power was pulled. You should get back to the 90% after cycling, if you want to speed up the process read the appendix of the most recent manual from our website.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Yep, my SG200 SOH on four year old batteries is not accurate after 5 cycles.
Reading 100%, when should be 90% +_ .
It started out at 90%, then went to ----, then 100%
Ah well, the other variables *seem* accurate.
Especially the SOC hitting 100% when tail current is 4.5A's.
Because thats where I set it.
Old 15-07-2019, 10:29   #487
Marine Service Provider

All,

I am looking for one or two testers for the Balmar Sg200 Bluetooth gateway. We are getting very close to releasing the product (Sorry for those who have been waiting!!)

To be considered:

1. You must be a current user of the SG200.
2. Have a recent Android or IOS device. Android 8 or Apple 5.
2. You must be able to use the installation repeatedly over the next few weeks.
3. You will need to give feedback, more than - "Looks good." This means committing to at least a few hours of you time. I will provide an online method to provide feedback.
4. You are ok with resets, etc to test functionality. This means that your SoH may be reset, even several times.
5. You agree to withhold any feedback about the product until we release. Basically, if you find an issue we want the chance to correct it before it is broadcast over the internet.

If think you fit the bill, please PM me directly, DO NOT POST HERE. Please don't get upset if you don't hear from me in response.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 17-07-2019, 10:42   #488

Went from 90% SoH to 100% SoH .... again.

When I get back to the boat, it’ll probably say 90%.

Haven’t ready anyone reporting anything other than 90% (or 100%). ??

Solar running the fridge only, very hot boat, closed up using more power than normal.

Starting to question the readings, and lack of consistency, accuracy, etc. Makes a decent ammeter, but at what price?
Old 17-07-2019, 11:20   #489
Marine Service Provider

Two-rocks,

The issue you are seeing is something we are aware of, and will address. The Bluetooth gateway is almost ready. When released, the fix for this issue may be in the first firmware update that will be "Included" with the initial app download. If not, it certainly will be in a follow up update shortly thereafter.

Chris

Quote:
Went from 90% SoH to 100% SoH .... again.

When I get back to the boat, it’ll probably say 90%.

Haven’t ready anyone reporting anything other than 90% (or 100%). ??

Solar running the fridge only, very hot boat, closed up using more power than normal.

Starting to question the readings, and lack of consistency, accuracy, etc. Makes a decent ammeter, but at what price?
Old 17-07-2019, 12:02   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Two-rocks,

The issue you are seeing is something we are aware of, and will address. The Bluetooth gateway is almost ready. When released, the fix for this issue may be in the first firmware update that will be "Included" with the initial app download. If not, it certainly will be in a follow up update shortly thereafter.

Chris
Thanks Chris. What will the path be for someone without the Bluetooth dongle? Just curious
Old 17-07-2019, 14:13   #491

Quote:
Thanks Chris. What will the path be for someone without the Bluetooth dongle? Just curious
Me too?
Smart link ----> USB, cable?
The ability to update firmware seems is going to be crucial to being satisfied with the device. Smart phone dashboard not so much IMO.
Got that on my B&G, rarely use it.
Old 17-07-2019, 14:38   #492
Marine Service Provider

Updating will take a BT gateway.
I am sure there will be updates that will add functionality into the future. We certainly have some improvements we are working on. For those that don't want the gateway otherwise, It can be plugged in and then removed after updating, if dock mates wish to share.

Chris
Old 18-07-2019, 08:30   #493
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The ability to cheaply rent or even borrow free, just shipping costs with a reasonable deposit, would be smart PR.

Otherwise penalizing early adopters even more than usual, not a great look from a CS POV.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 08:43   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Updating will take a BT gateway.
I am sure there will be updates that will add functionality into the future. We certainly have some improvements we are working on. For those that don't want the gateway otherwise, It can be plugged in and then removed after updating, if dock mates wish to share.

Chris
I guess I'll go with a warranty path, as the gauge is not working to specifications.
Old 18-07-2019, 13:30   #495

Not good business practice to launch early, with inherent faults, that you can’t correct without buying another device.
Balmar is not the first to do it though, and won’t be the last.

Tags
balmar, battery, monitor