Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2021, 10:18   #856

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: Balmar SG-200 Battery Monitor

Thanks Chris for the reply. That is a good suggestion. But in my case the sense cable is bolted directly to the battery in question. I will track down and record various voltage readings from he system at the batteries, solar controller chargers, etc next time I’m able.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 14:44   #857

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Chris from Balmar here. The Xecho utility tests for network connectivity issues. It is ONLY able to test between the display and another device. It cannot be used to test between a BT gateway and any device.

If you are getting errors between the display and a SmartShunt, it means there is most likely a cabling issue, or a bad connection between the pins of the SmartShunt and the sockets in the Deutsch connector. Here is some more info: https://balmar.net/sg200-faq/

Chris
This was my issue with the connecting cable from the gauge to the shunt. One of the pins in one of the female connectors on the cable had pushed back and was not connecting to the male pin. I pushed it in until it locked and solved the problem.
Old 15-08-2021, 15:12   #858

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I installed the SG200 in September 2019, almost 2 years ago. The main reason I installed it was to determine the State of Health of my (then) four year old Lifeline battery bank. In the past two years, I have been cruising, in marinas, and hauled out in boatyards, all the time with some load on the batteries and the solar panels connected. During this time, the SOH has been useless. It almost always reads 100%.

Today, my six year old batteries are almost dead, and I will be replacing them as soon as I get back to Grenada in September. When the sun sets, the SG200 has SOC and SOH both of 100%. Battery voltage at this time is 12.3. That's right, the SG200 gives an SOC of 100% at 12.3 Volts.

Each morning, the battery voltage will have dropped to 11.8 or 11.9 Volts from the anchor light, refrigeration, freezer, and cabin fans. SOC will be around 87% and the SOH is still 100%.

Not happy with the usefulness of the SOH function.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 04:40   #859

I’m sure this has been frustrating. Over the past two years have you called Balmar tech help? I have found them to be very helpful when things weren’t working as they should.
Old 16-08-2021, 05:50   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeew View Post
I’m sure this has been frustrating. Over the past two years have you called Balmar tech help? I have found them to be very helpful when things weren’t working as they should.
Yes, we have had e-mail conversations. Still no joy.

I'm holding out hope that when I replace the batteries and am starting from scratch, the SG-200 will be in a better mood and will start working.

Steve
Old 17-08-2021, 06:24   #861
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Steve,

Something does not sound right - even with zero learning the SoC should track down nicely. I suspect either a wiring issue or some setting is way off.

The SG200 does have the easiest quickest time when starting with new batteries, or close to new. It takes the longest when they are large in capacity and degraded.

Have you updated the firmware? we have made significant changes to the chems, but you need to update the firmware AND reapply the chems to put them into effect.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Yes, we have had e-mail conversations. Still no joy.

I'm holding out hope that when I replace the batteries and am starting from scratch, the SG-200 will be in a better mood and will start working.

Steve
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 14:44   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Steve,

Something does not sound right - even with zero learning the SoC should track down nicely. I suspect either a wiring issue or some setting is way off.

The SG200 does have the easiest quickest time when starting with new batteries, or close to new. It takes the longest when they are large in capacity and degraded.

Have you updated the firmware? we have made significant changes to the chems, but you need to update the firmware AND reapply the chems to put them into effect.

Chris
Hi Chris.

I installed the unit 2 years ago. SOC has worked pretty well during that time, but not SOH. I cannot imagine a wiring issue suddenly happened.

Unfortunately, my phone fell overboard last week so I can't use the app. From my log, I updated the software May 23 as follows: Gateway - v 4.06, Display - v 3.0, Shunt - v 2.97.

The only other settings I know of are battery type and capacity. Both are correct, 600 Ah of Lifeline AGMs.

I agree something doesn't sound right. And Chris, although I am a bit frustrated with the SG200, it is not a reflection on your responsiveness. You have been helping us all with this unit since it was introduced, and I appreciate it. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 04-12-2021, 06:19   #863

I have been having an occasional problem show up with my SG-200 monitor. It usually works fine but once in a while, with batteries all well charged, when I start my engine (it’s own start battery with good charge and in good condition) the house battery bank display will suddenly show 0% SOC. If I let it go on it’s own it will recover system accuracy after a day or so. But while it’s reading near zero during these episodes if I pull the fuse on the Balmar and reinsert it I will instantly begin seeing the correct SOC. The voltages shown during these episodes remain accurate on all three battery systems being monitored. House, engine, gen. I am considering adding a momentary cutoff switch to make reboots easier but perhaps someone can help me understand why this is happening. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:28   #864

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Peew thank you for posting this. How are all your connections? Nice and clean and secure?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 16:14   #865

My connections all seem good. Pulling and reinserting the fuse resolves the problem for weeks at a time. I don’t understand how 0% SOC can be shown with 12.8 volts. Easy easy enough to reset the system, but annoying.
Old 13-04-2022, 17:23   #866

I installed an XT170 and MC618 in August last year. Install was a bit of a problem with the XT170 not really fitting well on a Yanmar 3ym20 but after getting shorter studs for the alternator it fit and has been running well.

I have just installed an SG200, display, BT gateway and connected to the MC618 via the comm cable and SC618 extension cable. I can see the DISPLAY, SG200 and BT gateway from the display and the gateway but the MC618 does not show up.

I have tested the cables to the MC618 both with a meter and with an oscope to very connectivity. I have power cycled all repeatedly, upgraded firmware repeatedly and yet still no MC618. I can only run XECHO to the shunt and it works with no errors. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try to get the MC618 to show up ?

Thanks,
Mike
mikee512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 02:25   #867
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 21:00   #868
djs

Is anyone else having issues with the alerts on the SG200?
The default for the high current seems to be 80amps.
I’ve reset it to 150amps but it just ignores this and alerts any charge current 80 amps anyway
Informed Balmar but no fix yet.
Dave
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:23   #869

I encountered the same issue (over current false warning) a while ago. My shunt then turned into a brick, and would need to be returned to the factory to re-flash. I have given up on this product, and will be ripping it out when time permits. The concept is good, but the implementation and robustness is crap.

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 11:10   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee512 View Post
I installed an XT170 and MC618 in August last year. Install was a bit of a problem with the XT170 not really fitting well on a Yanmar 3ym20 but after getting shorter studs for the alternator it fit and has been running well.

I have just installed an SG200, display, BT gateway and connected to the MC618 via the comm cable and SC618 extension cable. I can see the DISPLAY, SG200 and BT gateway from the display and the gateway but the MC618 does not show up.

I have tested the cables to the MC618 both with a meter and with an oscope to very connectivity. I have power cycled all repeatedly, upgraded firmware repeatedly and yet still no MC618. I can only run XECHO to the shunt and it works with no errors. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try to get the MC618 to show up ?

Thanks,
Mike
I'm having the same issue - the system does not see the MC-618. I've updated the app and all devices, rebooted my phone, removed the SG200 fuse to reset everything, etc. Still no joy.

Steve

Tags
balmar, battery, monitor