Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:32   #16

Re: Batteries

Hypr,

My installation is the 4th generation (I've had the boat for 27 years this summer) which began with OEM wet cells then a pair of 8D gels and then a pair of 8D AGMs with an Opitma Start batt.

In the 3rd generation I added the PV 14, Link20, Sulfator and Echo-charge, and Amp Tech alternator and a BlueSeas 8080 swtich. In the second generation I has a Cruising Power Quad Cycle monitor using the OEM Bosch alternator.

In the 2nd generation I added 2 - 55watt solar panels. (unregulated w/ blocking diodes) and added a second battery switch to be able to select any combination of batteries for power (old school thinking).

All charging sources charge the house bank - 2 8Ds and the charge the start batt with the echo charge...

Start batt only cranks starter and is usually 100% full

All batts are run to the shunt, all devices have ground wires to a neg buss.

Large draw loads have large busses (pos and neg) and are located in engine room and include... starter, alternator, windlass, house loads, inverter. I've attached a to scale diagram without the wires of the large load electric wiring in the engine room. (green hatch is plexi cover)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12v Main Wiring - Engine Rm.pdf (32.0 KB, 69 views)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:45   #17

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Def,
How is juice getting back from the motor's alternator? Once the start battery is charged are you connected to the house batteries in any other way besides the Echo?

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06   #18

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
My PowerTech 8D's didn't seem to have much capacity left. They were 7 yrs old and so I replaced them. They sat on the dock and the tech guy decided to test them with some battery load testing device after sitting there for a week. "They're good he reported... the gauge needle goes right up into the the green".

I was about to bring them to the scrap yard and sell them for the lead... about $90 for the pair... but am wondering if there is some use for these batts... (not for on board).

Any suggestions?
You should recheck them. I had capacity problems with my 4D's. I finely removed all 4 and charged them separately and they all tested to the same voltage. then I waited a few days and tested them again and the all had great voltage 12.85. I then tested them with a load tester a toaster looking thing all tested great but one, It showed full volts but had zero capacity.
When I replace my current set I will go with more and smaller batteries the 130 pound ones are getting harder to move.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07   #19

Here is the wiring diagram for the 12v system.

Echo-charge (house bank) does all the charging of the start batt.

Alternator charges house bank
Tru charge (rarely used) charges house bank
Solar panels charges house bank (there is a on off switch to shut disconnect solar panels from system when other charging sources are used.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A - 12v main.pdf (32.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13   #20

The old 8D PowerTech AGM monsters are sitting in the parking lot under a a beautiful yacht in winter storage... waiting for their final resting place... another boat or the recycle center which will pay $90 for the lead. 8D's are way too heavy for normal people to move around except on a hand truck or with a fork lift.

I had to use the boom and halyard with a winch to move the monsters in an out of the boat...

I suspect they have life in them... but not in my future and so maybe someone will buy them before I take them to the recycle center... But as they are 7 yrs old... they may not be worth even $100 a piece despite that they cost $750 each new. Who wants 7 yr old monster AGM batteries? They're available in New Rochelle for $100 e/o

Tags
battery