Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:58   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Batteries isolated or not when boat not in use

Multiple banks, multiple chemistries, long cable runs...That's a setup where you will probably need to do some careful planning and moderately costly improvements, or else just be prepared to buy batteries more frequently.

The AGMs can go longer without taking permanent damage, but they also prefer to be kept charged up, and they will usually require a different charging profile. Small dedicated solar chargers, each matched to what each battery bank needs, may be the most effective interim solution, and a reasonable one for longer maintenance charging.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by terah View Post
The boat is in Italy. We have traded up from the Seawolf to a Sun Odyssey 45 (quite a jump). I'd have put more in the original post but it's snowing here too and I could hardly feel my fingers.

Have left batteries isolated and shorepower disconnected. Be useful to see charge state when we come back to see if they're OK.

The seacock is a worry. Have managed to work it free a little so it is about 20 degrees off closed. Marina have a key and will ask them to keep an eye on it.
Terah, I would seriously look at all the seacocks and through hulls. I believe that Jeanneau and Beneteau both used brass fittings. I changed out all of mine for DZR fittings. Four of the original through hulls were in poor condition.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:04   #18

Yeah I put DZR valves on my current boat, to replace the horrifically corroded gate valves.

I've checked all the other seacocks and they all work freely other than this one. The surveyor also scraped paint off a random selection to check for dezincification and found none, but recommended I do the same for all of then when we haul out.

Anything else to look for?
terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:44   #19

@Alita49DS Thanks. My old boat is much simpler and stays on the hard over winter. I do have a small oil filled radiator that is left on it on a low setting over winter. I'm going back out at the start of April to new boat so only be away a month and will rethink things before then.

I've only put the seacock on hand tight, having worked it free as much as possible - hopefully just enough to minimise the risk.

@hellosailor I don't mind too much the idea of replacing the engine and generator batteries, but the house bank and bowthruster batteries looked expensive. I haven't had a chance to work through all the wiring yet either to see how it is all hooked together. Longer term, would a decent solar setup and separate chargers for the different battery types be the way to go?
terah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat