Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2018, 11:32   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Battery bank located in berth area

Quote:
And, as several have noted, sleeping on top of hydrogen sulfide gas is not really encouraged. Its a good way to end your voyaging.
But the gas vented from charging LA batteries isn't hydrogen sulfide, it is just plain ole Hydrogen. Not highly toxic llike H2S.

Jim
Old 22-10-2018, 11:37   #47

Boat: Olson 40

guyrj33 - You are correct: on center and low (under the settees) reduces the pitching inertia. I was distracted by cautioning the idea of putting the weight forward - and using aft as the opposite alternative. Case in point, on my boat the batteries are low and just aft of midships, under the settees.

When sailing to weather, yes crew on the rail. When sailing downwind crew weight aft is better.
tdgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 11:52   #48
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgaffney View Post
no, No, NO.

Boats sail better with weight aft and batteries are very heavy. You'll have enough weight forward with anchor and rode, and in some smaller boats, water tank under the V-berth. Weight forward will encourage the boat to pitch up and down in a seaway - under some (actually reasonable) conditions, you won't make headway. All because of all the weight forward.

My Olson 40 has six batteries, installed just forward of the companion way and under the port and stbd settee (at the most aft seat), three each side. Water tanks are one port and one stbd under the rest of the settee. I stow my anchor gear in the bow when cruising and in the lazarette when racing. It makes a difference.

And, as several have noted, sleeping on top of hydrogen sulfide gas is not really encouraged. Its a good way to end your voyaging.
TD,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond and see that you are relatively new to posting on the forum. I would ask that you look at the application before telling someone (me) no in increasing intensity. This is a 56' catamaran, the batteries right now are located about 3' from the stern, they would be moved about 14' from the bow, my boat is ass heavy, and the batteries would be substantially closer to the 12v distribution panel.

You have an opinion, which is nice to give out (IMO ((in my opinion))). There are very few members here who can make statements of fact and be correct nearly 100% of the time. One of them has already posted on this thread.
Old 25-10-2018, 00:38   #49

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

While moving a bank of batteries forward, have you thought about lipo? Lighter, no gassing, more usable capacity. Must put in systems to avoid charging over voltage, or discharge below min voltage, and avoid short curcuits, they have no internal resistance. We have used Winston brand (Chinese) installed over 4 1/2 years ago withno battery issues. Cruised 26000 nmiles so far, mainly Aus to NZ and Fiji. Dont know if these are available in USA.
Barry
SV Risky Business
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 05:04   #50
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

LiPo is not suitable.

Out of the dozens of different "lithium ion" chemistries, only LFP is.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 05:12   #51
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Barry,
I'd look at it if we used the boat more but right now we only spend 2 months per year sailing. It's hard to justify the expense for that. And my water maker and refrigeration are 240v so I have to run the generator twice per day anyway.
Old 25-10-2018, 05:25   #52

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Barry,
I'd look at it if we used the boat more but right now we only spend 2 months per year sailing. It's hard to justify the expense for that. And my water maker and refrigeration are 240v so I have to run the generator twice per day anyway.

Why don't you use dry spiral deep cycle batteries? No gassing and can be mounted in any position. Higher recharge rate is suitable at 15.6 volts until the draw is less than 1 amp per battery in the bank. I installed their cranking batteries for my bowthruster and have been very happy with their performance. If you are in Oz then Optima is readily available as I believe they are manufactured there.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:10   #53
cruiser

Optima quality as deep cycling batts is cr^p since Enersys sold the line to JCI.

Both US companies, afaik only made in Mexico and the US, but maybe they set up a factory in Oz for the Asian market?
Old 25-10-2018, 06:10   #54
cruiser

Great cranking batts though

Tags
battery