Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2024, 09:14   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Battery Isolator for lithium setup

Question for you all: when I had my lithium installed, the installer said my battery isolator was fine and I didn’t need a DC to DC charger for the start battery. I had a couple questions on this but seemed to make sense and he is a Victron certified installer. I’m currently working through an issue in my electrical system and think it is the battery isolator causing it which made me want to circle back on this topic. Is this appropriate or should it be switched with a DC to DC charger?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2024, 13:00   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Battery Isolator for lithium setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Question for you all: when I had my lithium installed, the installer said my battery isolator was fine and I didn’t need a DC to DC charger for the start battery. I had a couple questions on this but seemed to make sense and he is a Victron certified installer. I’m currently working through an issue in my electrical system and think it is the battery isolator causing it which made me want to circle back on this topic. Is this appropriate or should it be switched with a DC to DC charger?
Personally I would not use a battery isolator across multiple chemistries. Could you? In theory if the charging voltages were deoptimized to be safe for both across possible SoC.

It is not a good solution though and I am surprised the installer would recommend it. DC to DC charger ensures each battery is charged at its ideal voltages independent of the other.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2024, 14:17   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

What is the electrical issue, and what battery isolator are you using? What leads you to believe the isolator is the problem? I'm not suggesting it isn't the issue, but we need a lot more information.

Using an *appropriate* isolator between different chemistries is fine. Something like the Victron Argofet would be perfectly acceptable.
Old 23-07-2024, 15:28   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
What is the electrical issue, and what battery isolator are you using? What leads you to believe the isolator is the problem? I'm not suggesting it isn't the issue, but we need a lot more information.

Using an *appropriate* isolator between different chemistries is fine. Something like the Victron Argofet would be perfectly acceptable.
Apparently it’s a Cristec isolator and unsure if it would be appropriate. I made another thread on the issue but my victron inverter is not working nor is shore charging. I took it for a sail and dock power worked but while out, the inverter didn’t work and coming back the shore charging/AC outlets didn’t work. DC works fine and alternator charging. Went to the boat today and the only thing I see downstream is the battery isolator. I didn’t see a breaker. The multiplus still powers on and on the cerboGX shows an AC load of 4w which seems like a standby load to me.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, lithium