Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 07:31   #1
eje

Boat: Cal 33-2
Battery Management

My boat has two batteries controlled by an Off/1/2/All switch. I don't have room to add additional batteries without modifying the battery compartment.
I know many reserve one battery for engine starting, but this means I am starting the engine to charge a battery while using only half the available capacity.

How to most manage a system with two batteries?
eje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:49   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Battery Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by eje View Post
My boat has two batteries controlled by an Off/1/2/All switch. I don't have room to add additional batteries without modifying the battery compartment.
I know many reserve one battery for engine starting, but this means I am starting the engine to charge a battery while using only half the available capacity.

How to most manage a system with two batteries?
You need very little capacity to start the average boat engine, less than 1 Ah in most cases. Of course you need a high cranking current (CCA / MCA) but not much capacity.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:57   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There are several methodologies when using two batteries. Here is a couple.
1 Have a seperate batteries for House and Start
2 Have a main battery for everything and a reserve battery available for when the main battery fails.
3 Have two batteries and use only one at a time e.g. use battery one on odd days and battery two on even days.

Each method has advantages and drawbacks - you have to choose what works for you, your boat and your engine.

What is best for a large long term liveaboard cruising boat is not always the best for a weekend coastal cruiser or a day racer.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:11   #4
eje

Boat: Cal 33-2

Thanks, methodologies 1,2 3 seem pretty much all the same to me, use one battery & keep one full.
I use the boat mostly for day sailing & coastal cruising. One battery is more than enough for day sailing, but not for sailing all day/night with the autopilot
eje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eje View Post
Thanks, methodologies 1,2 3 seem pretty much all the same to me, use one battery & keep one full.
I use the boat mostly for day sailing & coastal cruising. One battery is more than enough for day sailing, but not for sailing all day/night with the autopilot
Then you need to add more batteries. (Or solar) Maybe find a new spot for an engine battery. And use those 2 joined as the house. All 3 don’t have to be in same box. But the joined bank should be.

Most weekend sailers have 5+ batteries.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men