Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 17:36   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Battery Managment System Update

Hello All,
I have an older Whitby 42 that looks like it has had too many owners working on the 12V electrical system. I am looking to start by updating the battery management panel. Right now I have (4) 6v house batteries, a 12V motor starting battery, a 12V generator starting battery, and a 12V bow battery for the bow thruster and I believe windlass.

I am looking at using the following battery bank manager: https://www.bluesea.com/products/868...nagement_Panel

I am planning on using the port/starboard selector for the motor and generator starting batteries.

I haven't decided the best way to manage the bow battery, I am leaning towards isolating it (except for charging) and possibly reusing one of the current battery selectors to allow it to be tied to the house bank.

Any advice is appreciated!
AHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 18:15   #2

Re: Battery Managment System Update

If I read the link correctly, that panel includes a Dual Circuit Plus switch.

Thyere have been numerous discussions about the disadvantages of that type of switch on a sailboat.

Here's one:

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"
Darn AGM Batteries | SailboatOwners.com Forums

Many of us feel that the simple, correctly wired 1-2-B switch, or other multiple switching arrangements are far superior to the DCP arrangement for the reasons described.

Like these:

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings | SailboatOwners.com Forums

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery, men