Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 13:55   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Question Battery Monitoring Instrument (CDM BT2000)

In January I bought a, new to me, boat (1981 Endeavour).

I have been attempting to sort out all the electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems. One device for which I cannot find any information is a Battery Monitoring System Model BT2000 manufactured by a company named CDM Systems in New London, CT. I have Googled the name and tried YellowPages.com to no avail.

I have a circuit diagram (drawn by DCM Systems dated 1991) of how it is connected to the batteries system but that's all. It has selections for each battery of B1 Capacity, B1 Volts, B1 Amps, B1 Time, Ca , T1. This is repeated as B2 Capacity etc. It has a readout that displays (accurately) Volts and Amps for both batteries.

I need a manual or instructions for setting up the Capacity and Time for each battery, the rest is pretty evident.

If it would help anyone I can scan the circuit diagram and post a link to it.

Any Help would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2007, 18:42   #2

Thumbs up Battery Monitoring Instrument (CDM BT2000)

Found a copy of the Operation Manual. They are no longer in business. It's a pretty sharp device.
Thanks anyway
Old 08-07-2007, 18:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Simple battery monitoring involves reading the voltage and current from both batteries, more sophisticated models count the current in and out and can therefore display the amphours in and out and the net gain or loss. If you input the capacity of each battery it will read the % charge.
Your model sounds like one of the sophisticated models and it wants you to input the battery capacity so it can calculate these %. As this information only needs to be entered once (unless the memory is lost) so it may involve a convoluted process. Try pressing buttons and see what happens.
I doubt the circuit diagram would be much help.
Cheers John
see my blog at amzerzo.blogspot.com
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 18:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Sound like you solved the problem while I was composing my post. Well done I have purchased a second hand yacht with lots of documentation, but most of it is in French !
Cheers John
see my blog at amzerzo.blogspot.com
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 18:56   #5

Thumbs up Battery Monitoring Instrument (CDM BT2000) FOUND

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77
I doubt the circuit diagram would be much help.
Cheers John
Your right about that. I was able to finally find a copy of the Operation Manual that the PO had left in the stack on papers he gave me. The device works pretty much as you described. It will be interesting to see how accurate it is.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-07-2007, 19:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The device works pretty much as you described. It will be interesting to see how accurate it is.
There have been a few over the past years. Te modern onews are perhaps more accurate but the concept is pretty good even for the old technology. The precision is perhaps less important. Our last baot had a Linik 10 and it was a tiny package with what I thought was a better display. Our current boat has an Ample Power unit that is muich larger with about the same features but older. In the end they both do about the same job. It's nice to view your battery bank like a fuel gauge. It makes it ewasier to understand and that alone is what convices me they are a great tool and clearly required gear for a cruiser.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 07:20   #7

BT2000 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by engcon View Post
Your right about that. I was able to finally find a copy of the Operation Manual that the PO had left in the stack on papers he gave me. The device works pretty much as you described. It will be interesting to see how accurate it is.

Thanks for the reply.
Hello,,, new to the forum. I saw your post. I too have a BT2000 Battery monitor. Cannot get it to work and have no manual. Any chance I can get a copy of yours? I need the wiring schematic and ops instructions.

Thx, Upncmng2000
upncmng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 15:33   #8

Thumbs up Battery Monitoring Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by upncmng2000 View Post
Hello,,, new to the forum. I saw your post. I too have a BT2000 Battery monitor. Cannot get it to work and have no manual. Any chance I can get a copy of yours? I need the wiring schematic and ops instructions.

Thx, Upncmng2000
Send me a PM with address and I'll bring it back from the boat this weekend and scan it in and mail it to you.
Old 14-11-2007, 18:37   #9

Thx engcon,,,

Thx for your response. My battery monitor hasn't worked since I bought the boat 2 yrs ago. The PO says he thinks that the boat yard screwed it up when they put 2 new AGM batteries in. Hope I can fix it.

Thank you again,
Pete
Old 14-11-2007, 19:39   #10

Question Battery Monitoring Instrument (CDM BT2000) FOUND

Going to the boat on Saturday. Be back Sunday night. Will scan and send it some time next week. Can you handel it if I make it a pdf and e-mail it?

Thanks

engcon
Old 15-11-2007, 04:44   #11

Engcon,,,, a pdf or email will be fine. My email is upncmng2000@yahoo.com
Have a great weekend and thx again.
Pete
Old 28-11-2007, 17:08   #12

PDF sent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engcon View Post
Going to the boat on Saturday. Be back Sunday night. Will scan and send it some time next week. Can you handel it if I make it a pdf and e-mail it?

Thanks

engcon

Hello,, were you able to scan the ops manual for the CDM battery monitor?

Thanks
Old 28-11-2007, 17:37   #13

Boat: Endeavour E40
engcon, happy to hear you purchased an ENDEAVOUR...... I assume it's a center cockpit?.......
I have a 1982 E40 and spent a lot of funds upgrading the electrical system, batteries and all associated charging equipment with all BALMAR and XANTREX charging.....
so far the system seems to be doing what is intended..... works very well with my almost new generator.
Recently I've been working on cosmetics, next is stripping the cap-rail that the previous owner painted to avoid varnish, I assume...... but the ENDEAVOURS have just about the right amount of teak to give it some class, I very happy with HIGH COTTON..... Good luck with yours!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:49   #14

engcon,,, Hello,, you still out there? Any chance I can still get that CDM documentation? I was contacted by someone in Finland who is also trying to get the doc.
Thanks, upncmng2000

Tags
battery