Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Battery Replacement from Hell....

OK please note that I will NEVER ever utter the words "this will only take an hour" again when referring to ANY job undertaken on a boat.

House batteries should have been recycled long ago. So I sprung for some new Deka gel cell 6v units to replace 1-for-1 with the old house batts. Well wouldn't you know.... the battery terminals on the old batteries run longitudinally with the case and of course the new ones are 90 degrees off.

So of course the interconnecting battery cables are now too short, the weather is absolutely gorgeous and we had planned to go sailing. So off I trudge to West Marine, where they have 85% of the pieces I need. So I drive another 10 miles to another store to get the rest. In a hurry so paying their prices.... I hate that.

So finally around 4pm the job is done, the bank is topped off and I get to relax and think about the day we could have had on the water.

Funny how a great day on the water Sunday has helped to diminish the pain....
Old 09-02-2009, 06:43   #2

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
What's that ..... You mean they make 6v batteries other than Trojan T-105s?
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:44   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
A boating rule of thumb

Mark,

I have scientifically developed a highly accurate means of estimating time required to complete any job on a boat.
1. Make your best estimate of how long it SHOULD take
example: change oil -- 1 hour
2. Double the number to 2 hours
3. Move up one unit of measure to 2 DAYS

Works every time (nearly)

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
What's that ..... You mean they make 6v batteries other than Trojan T-105s?
Yeah.. but if I'd gone that route the terminals would have been fine and I'd have spent the day sailing.....
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
On a related note. I needed to change my head hoses and holding tank. Estimated time for work 2 days. This is what happened;
Remove old hoses and tank -1 day
purchase new tank- although it technically fitted, would not fit in the right way replace with small tank, decided it was too small, hunted down larger tank- 2 days
Install new hoses- had to drill two new holse in bulkhead as tank fitting were not in exactly the same place- 1 day
decided to maintain pump on head while it was out, discovered that pump needed new parts, which are not made any more ( its a Raritan Cricket)- 1 day
Replaced old head with a Lavac, which meant the addition of two manual bilge pumps. Because of the mechanics of the flow in and out of the pumps, had to drill two more holes for new hosing to run thru- 2 days
Hose is now too short, 2 days buying and replacing brand new hose with more brand new hose.
While messing around with the sacocks noticed that the handles were starting to rust- why is it so hard to find these handles? and why are they built of ferrous?
So now i am up to about 2 weeks of work, and still need to replace these seacocks, plus while I am at it might as well replace other seacocks, perhaps 4 days?
and I still do not haver a working heads!
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 22:58   #6

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor View Post
On a related note. I needed to change my head hoses and holding tank. Estimated time for work 2 days. This is what happened;
Remove old hoses and tank -1 day
purchase new tank- although it technically fitted, would not fit in the right way replace with small tank, decided it was too small, hunted down larger tank- 2 days
Install new hoses- had to drill two new holse in bulkhead as tank fitting were not in exactly the same place- 1 day
decided to maintain pump on head while it was out, discovered that pump needed new parts, which are not made any more ( its a Raritan Cricket)- 1 day
Replaced old head with a Lavac, which meant the addition of two manual bilge pumps. Because of the mechanics of the flow in and out of the pumps, had to drill two more holes for new hosing to run thru- 2 days
Hose is now too short, 2 days buying and replacing brand new hose with more brand new hose.
While messing around with the sacocks noticed that the handles were starting to rust- why is it so hard to find these handles? and why are they built of ferrous?
So now i am up to about 2 weeks of work, and still need to replace these seacocks, plus while I am at it might as well replace other seacocks, perhaps 4 days?
and I still do not haver a working heads!

LMAO.... feels good to know its just not me.....
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:47   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I'm sure this will be no surprise either,

Job .....remove rotted area inside cabin around one saloon window and replace with new material...refinish.......estimate 5 or 6 days

Total actual time....4 years and still counting!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery