Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:35   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Battery Selection?

I'm considering replacing my house battery bank. It currently has a single 12v deep cycle battery. These are what I'm considering as a replacement. I want to use 4 of the 400ah batteries. They will be going into a Catalina 38 with the Universal M25. Thoughts?

http://m.westmarine.com/aHR0cDovL3d3...dW09NTA1NDQ%3D
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Battery Selection?

for that price, I'd buy LiFerrous , I suggest refocusing in good quality flooded, open cell standard lead acid batteries, AGMs have no real advantage on most boats.

I also suspect if you are going from a single battery to 1000Ah of 12v capacity you'd need to look at charging sources very carefully . Batteries should be installed as part of a system not just considered on their own.

dave
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
for that price, I'd buy LiFerrous , I suggest refocusing in good quality flooded, open cell standard lead acid batteries, AGMs have no real advantage on most boats.

I also suspect if you are going from a single battery to 1000Ah of 12v capacity you'd need to look at charging sources very carefully . Batteries should be installed as part of a system not just considered on their own.

dave
Sorry, should have mentioned that. I'm upgrading my entire electrical system. The mast is getting rewired now abd I'm adding solar and a new alternator. Why standard lead acid though?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:56   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Unless you can use the specific AGM good characteristics, like high charge acceptance, and low leakage current, thats fine, few boats need that , but you get the bad AGm characteristics, like sensitivity to charging, requirement to periodically bring to full charge, no ability to replace electrolyte, etc

dave
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
I'm considering replacing my house battery bank. It currently has a single 12v deep cycle battery. These are what I'm considering as a replacement. I want to use 4 of the 400ah batteries. They will be going into a Catalina 38 with the Universal M25. Thoughts?

MASTERVOLT AGM 6 Volt Batteries at West Marine
I have to say 4 x 400 ah batteries seems rather large on your C38 with the M25 motor...that's 1600ah which in my estimation will require an alternator of huge proportions to effectively recharge that bank!

I have a bank of AGMs 800ah being recharged by an Electromaax 180 amp alt backed up by 3 x 200 W solar panels and find that very satisfactory.

I recommend you read up on some of 'Mainsails Musings' on batteries and charging!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post

I have to say 4 x 400 ah batteries seems rather large on your C38 with the M25 motor...that's 1600ah which in my estimation will require an alternator of huge proportions to effectively recharge that bank!

I have a bank of AGMs 800ah being recharged by an Electromaax 180 amp alt backed up by 3 x 200 W solar panels and find that very satisfactory.

I recommend you read up on some of 'Mainsails Musings' on batteries and charging!
That's why I'm asking! I just wasn't sure if two would provide the power I need while offshore.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12   #7
Eternal Member

I believe those who responded thus far have missed the point.

Four 260AH 6-volt AGMs in series/parallel will yield 520AH @ 12VDC.

That's a very healthy-sized house battery bank for a Catalina 38.

I certainly agree with the comments re: checking out flooded LA batteries first. They're MUCH cheaper and, for most cruisers, are a better deal than AGMs.

However, it depends very much on your intended use of the boat: dockside most of the time? Weekend cruising with occasional longer cruises? On anchor/mooring most of the time? Full-time cruising? Intended cruising ground? etc., etc.

You should take these factors into account BEFORE upgrading your solar/alternator/charter-generator/battery system.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

That is not 1600 amp hrs, it is 800 amp hrs at 12 volts.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Ah, so they are 260 amp. hr. batteries and not 400 so Bill's calculations are right. So where did the 400 amp. hr. come from?

I would still follow the caution on using AGM. I second the suggestion to read Main Sail's musings on batteries.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I believe those who responded thus far have missed the point.

Four 260AH 6-volt AGMs in series/parallel will yield 520AH @ 12VDC.

That's a very healthy-sized house battery bank for a Catalina 38.

I certainly agree with the comments re: checking out flooded LA batteries first. They're MUCH cheaper and, for most cruisers, are a better deal than AGMs.

However, it depends very much on your intended use of the boat: dockside most of the time? Weekend cruising with occasional longer cruises? On anchor/mooring most of the time? Full-time cruising? Intended cruising ground? etc., etc.

You should take these factors into account BEFORE upgrading your solar/alternator/charter-generator/battery system.

Bill
Intended use, for now full time liveaboard at a marina with regular weekend use and occasional week too two week trips away from shore power. Then in 3 to 4 years full time cruising. I'm not in a rush to upgrade them right now. The boat is on the hard in Massachusetts. But I am planning on sailing her down in the spring on the outside. So I need to have at least the batteries sorted by then.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ah, so they are 260 amp. hr. batteries and not 400 so Bill's calculations are right. So where did the 400 amp. hr. come from?

I would still follow the caution on using AGM. I second the suggestion to read Main Sail's musings on batteries.
No, I'm considering the 400ah batts.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

If you go with Agm batteries their life will be severely compromised if not fully charged very regularly. Offshore cruisers use their batteries to 50% and charge with alternator to 80-85% as the last 15% takes many hours. Solar and or wind gen will take care of the last 15% but neither can be relied on to charge them fully regularly - say twice a week. Agm batteries rarely will outlast a good flooded bank that is maintained - flooded batteries are much more tolerant of undercharging than Agm batteries.

This link from MaineSail is well worth reading before buying Agm batteries.
AGM Batteries - Making The Choice - SailboatOwners.com

800 AH is a large bank but if you have the room it can mean cycling down to 60 or 70% instead of 50% and that will extend the life of any battery.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If you go with Agm batteries their life will be severely compromised if not fully charged very regularly. Offshore cruisers use their batteries to 50% and charge with alternator to 80-85% as the last 15% takes many hours. Solar and or wind gen will take care of the last 15% but neither can be relied on to charge them fully regularly - say twice a week. Agm batteries rarely will outlast a good flooded bank that is maintained - flooded batteries are much more tolerant of undercharging than Agm batteries.

This link from MaineSail is well worth reading before buying Agm batteries.
AGM Batteries - Making The Choice - SailboatOwners.com
I appreciate it!
Old 04-12-2013, 13:14   #14
Eternal Member

OK. Four 400AH six-volt batteries in series/parallel = 800AH total capacity. That's a LOT.

It's way overkill for marina living and part-time cruising.

Save your money. Go with flooded LA batteries. From what you've described thus far, four six-volt golf-carts (about 450AH) would be more than enough, unless you have a HUGE energy budget. These would set you back about $400-$500 total.

But you also need to consider charging means and requirements. Not much required for marina living and occasional trips, but for long-distance cruising and, especially, if you plan to fit AGMs you'll need to beef up all charging means....alternator, battery charger, on-board generator, solar panels, etc.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 13:33   #15

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I agree with others. 800AH is a lot of battery.

If you are truly set on spending $2400 on batteries, I would look at LifePO4. But I value money so for your needs I would suggest (4) T-105s (or 6 if you really think you need to go big) will fit your needs at a cost of ~$100 each. Beat the crap out of 'em, they just keep ticking.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote