Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 10:34   #16

Re: Battery selector switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanTruant View Post

It seems that a simple test of turning the selector switch between 1, all, and 2 while the lights are on, engine off, and shore power off would answer my question by telling me if power is briefly interrupted or continuous.

Does this sound correct?
Yes, but not always because of the size of the loads, but read and do the other stuff we recommended, too. Maybe at the same time.

The discussion that included a duo-charge was fine, except you don't need a duo-charge for that concept, just a combiner or echo charge or a BS ACR, less expensive and easier to install.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:12   #17

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

it is correct that new battery selector switches are make before break.. but as already pointed out, it doesnt mean that any particular boat has that type of switch..

nor does it mean that the battery selector switch is wired in any particular order...

for example, the battery selector switch in my boat is effectively deciding which bank powers the house electronics, as such 1,2 all, off are all valid positions whether the engine is running or not.. the alternator is hard wired to the house bank...given that is what required 98% of all charging.

30mins with a screwdriver and flashlight would be well spent on your vessel to see how your high current circuits are wired.

Quote:
I found this from a licensed marine electrician. His thoughts on make-before-break:

On many older boats, the big 1-2-BOTH battery switch can be either a make-before-break switch or a break-before-make switch. Engineering speak! What it really means is a description of what happens when you turn the switch knob/handle/etc.:
Make-Before-Break
Nowadays, all switches are make-before-break., As you turn the handle from 1 to BOTH to 2, the battery voltage to the boat will never go to zero, i.e., there is never a voltage interruption. If you had a light on while turning the switch, you would see that it doesn't blink, though the light brightness might change, depending on your battery voltages. If this is your switch type, you can switch it while the engine is running.
Break-Before-Make
As you turn the handle from 1 to BOTH to 2, the battery voltage gets disconnected before each new switch position. If you had a light on while turning the switch, you would see it blink off then on. If this is your switch type, don't ever switch it while the engine is running or you could blow out your alternator!
Never switch off the battery switch with the engine running. Doing so will destroy your alternator!

It seems that a simple test of turning the selector switch between 1, all, and 2 while the lights are on, engine off, and shore power off would answer my question by telling me if power is briefly interrupted or continuous.

Does this sound correct?
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:17   #18

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

while i agree that a combiner and a relay are other options..they are cheaper for a reason..

a combiner (cheapest) when charging will regularly discharge the start battery into the house battery and leave both banks at similar state of charge... when the house is significantly depleted then its a situation where you may always wish to preserve the high charge of the start battery in isolation so this is unsettling.

charging relays.. mechanical. nuff said.

either though are certainly preferable to manually fiddling with the battery selector switch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yes, but not always because of the size of the loads, but read and do the other stuff we recommended, too. Maybe at the same time.

The discussion that included a duo-charge was fine, except you don't need a duo-charge for that concept, just a combiner or echo charge or a BS ACR, less expensive and easier to install.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
while i agree that a combiner and a relay are other options..they are cheaper for a reason..

a combiner (cheapest) when charging will regularly discharge the start battery into the house battery and leave both banks at similar state of charge... when the house is significantly depleted then its a situation where you may always wish to preserve the high charge of the start battery in isolation so this is unsettling.

charging relays.. mechanical. nuff said.

either though are certainly preferable to manually fiddling with the battery selector switch...
Combiners only work (close) when there is a charging source present and above around 13.0 volts.

The Yandina website has tons of information about this misconception.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:29   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... It seems that a simple test of turning the selector switch between 1, all, and 2 while the lights are on, engine off, and shore power off would answer my question by telling me if power is briefly interrupted or continuous.
Does this sound correct?
Yes, it does.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery