Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 08:45   #16

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Re: Battery Sources

I figure at $359 with shipping that they are not the best I can get, I get it. But at $359 I should be plenty happy for a few years, it is my temporary fix while I get other systems in order. They seem to keep us pretty happy over long weekends on the hook, and we run everything.
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 08:56   #17

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Battery Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjaku View Post
Guys,

I need to replace my house batteries and I'm looking for a source for the batteries. I tried West Marine, but they don't have what I'm looking for.

Specifically:

12v, Deep Cycle, AGM, Group 31, 115-120 Amp hrs. I currently have 6x 115 Amp Hr wet cells that have gone bad, so I'm looking to install 690 Amp Hrs. Does anyone have any sources for batteries that they like?

The boat is in Virginia, so I'll have to ship the batteries.

Thanks,
-eric
Our 675 Ahr house bank is nearly 10 years old. 6 x Trojan T105s.

We'll likely replace the house bank next year.

Current choices are Trojan T105s or Carbon Foam.

The T105s can be sourced for a reasonable price from most good battery outlets or chandlereys. West Marine would not be my first choice for batteries.

The carbon foam are really sole source from the manufacturer.

You could source golf cart batteries just about anywhere. Costco for example.

The Trojans you should be able to find locally.

BTW.

You mention your house bank has gone bad. Do you mean the bank is end of life or do you have a usage / recharge issue to be resolved before replacing the batteries?

Have the wet cells been topped up?

As you're looking at AGMs be aware they have no tolerance for overcharging. Are your regulators, charger and solar controllers in good order. By this I mean charge rate and voltages need to be configurable to your new batteries. You don't specify what you have currently.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery