Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 17:30   #1

Battery Switch Replacement - ACR?

I've got a simple battery system for our 27' Tartan sailboat. Two 24 group deep cycle batteries and the old style OFF - 1 - Both - 2 Switch. I've realized recently that our one battery is not getting any charge from the Alternator when the engine is running. It seems to be the switch that is faulty. I checked and cleaned the connections on the cable and the continuity checked out fine. The switch is at least 20 years old.

I'm looking at replacing the switch but am finding, in addition to the traditional old switches, those that are simply 'ON' and 'ALL' with an Automatic Charging Relay (ACR). It seems these setups help prevent issues with draining batteries by not switching to 1 or 2 under sail after shutting off the engine. However, does it have limitations? What if your starting battery fails and you need to start with the house battery? Does switching to 'ALL' really work or does that bad battery draw down the good one?

Simplest solution is to replace the switch as is. However, I don't want to make a mistake by improving the setup if there is a significant advantage.

I appreciate the input/guidance
Timccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:58   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Battery Switch Replacement - ACR?

A 'OFF - 1 - Both - 2 Switch' is fool proof as long as the operator is not a fool. Most of us (including me) becomes foolish occasionally and when that happens, a 'OFF - 1 - Both - 2 Switch' is not ideal.

An ACR is fool proof as long as the electronic 'brain' works. An ACR has a manual override function that you use when you wish to parallel the batteries.

I used to prefer the 'OFF - 1 - Both - 2' switch, now I prefer an ACR.

Alternator to Start Battery, ACR between Start and House Battery.

Start battery is always fully charged (100% SOC) without any input from you. House battery SOC varies up and down with use. If Start battery fails, use the manual override function of the ACR to parallel Start and House.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men