Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 09:43   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Battery temp and voltage sense connections on battery terminal vs. first fuse/bus

I'm installing some Victron LiFePO4 batteries, Victron BMS and battery monitor, and Wakespeed alternator regulator. And I have a Balmar battery monitor as well, because how do you know any measurement is right unless you can compare it to something else?

Anyways, it adds up to a lot of devices that want to have their own temperature and battery voltage sense wires connected directly to the battery terminal.

I'm using MRBF terminal fuses on the positive posts, and am hesitant to just pile on 3 or more thin ring terminals on top of the fuse or the terminal. I believe MRBF fuses say they should only have a single cable connected.

Obviously the temp sensors absolutely have to be on the battery. Could they just as well go on the negative battery terminal? I can't see why not...they just need a sound thermal connection to the battery, right? This avoids the piling on to the positive post and the MRBF limit.

As for the voltage sensor wires, are most folks putting those right on the positive battery terminal (with a small inline fuse), before the MRBF, or are you putting it on top of the main positive cable on the MRBF fuse, or are you accepting that it is imperfect but perhaps good enough to put them on the first fuse/bus outside the battery compartment. In my case this is a 16 inch run of 2/0 away from the positive battery terminal.
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 22:36   #2

Re: Battery temp and voltage sense connections on battery terminal vs. first fuse/bus

Temp. Normally goes on the neg as that is safer. Some victron ones need to go on pos as it also does the volts.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:46   #3
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Battery temp and voltage sense connections on battery terminal vs. first fuse/bus

Use a piece of copper bar stock and drill an appropriately sized hole to fit on your battery B- stud. Drill and tap holes in the copper bar stock to attach the various temperature sensors. Not perfect but pretty close.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery