Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 07:05   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Battery voltage?

Before you buy new batteries add lots more solar. If in the Caribbean wind gen is an option depending on your anchorage and will charge at night. Solwr is safer bet.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:32   #17

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Do you have a shorepower battery charger/conditioner? You really should keep the batteries attached to shorepower with the battery charger any and every time you are docked for more than a few hours. I wired my promariner prosport 20 into my breaker panel so all I have to do when I get to shore is plug in and flip the breakers and off it goes. It really doesn't use that much power at all to condition batteries. I have been docked and left plugged in with my prosport running the whole winter. That and using an electric heater all winter has only cost me an average of $100 per month and that's in maine where winter electricity costs are doubled.

EDIT: OK I just read the bit about not docking up at all. That's fine. Then you really should have a batteries charger that inspects your bank and applies electricity in the curve designed for those batteries. Get a generation 2 or 3 charger that has the smart technology to analyze a battery bank. Also let this same said battery charger tell you when it's done, not the other way around. It will charge heavy in a curve, then it will plateau the voltage to hold the battery there, then it will go into sustainment and tell you it's done. That's when you shut off the generator. Depending on the state of your batteries, that may be several hours or more the first time you do it because the batteries are being reconditioned.

Solar and wind are great ways to keep the batteries topped up as well, but they don't have the smart technology to recondition batteries properly, and sometimes just aren't generating enough electricity to do it either.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 09:10   #18
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You need to test all of your cells with a hydrometer. If you find a bad cell on one or two of your batteries you can convert your six battery bank into a four battery bank until you can replace them all
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery