Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 11:19   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Battleborn Vs. RELiON

We just bought a new-to-us boat and I'm planning on replacing the entire battery/charging setup on the boat as part of a refit. Right now we're leaning towards lithium for the batteries.

Does anyone have a compelling argument for choosing one of these brands over the other? They appear to be a very similar product with the Battleborns being slightly less expensive.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 04:37   #2

Boat: Leopard 45
Re: Battleborn Vs. RELiON

Since Relion batteries are made in China and the they beef up the bms upon arrival have you considered ordering from other factory in China. I found the factory that makes Relion and they will sell for $1100 before shipping. Other factorys are $850 usd. This is for 300AH. Hmmm sounds attractive andaybe worth the gamble. Remember the relion is made in China.
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 14:20   #3

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Bump to this thread.

I am facing similar choice after a lightning strike took out my 4 x 300 Ah Relions. Dealer suggests Battle Born are more reliable. OTOH, BattleBorn are only 100H vs 300Ah on the Relions. So, 4 vs 12 batteries. Many more connections.

In response to post above, I believe both Relion and Battle Born are of Chinese origin.

Anybody have any actual data, particularly on the claimed better reliability of the Battle Born vs Relions?

Thanksabunch
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 16:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Bump to this thread.

I am facing similar choice after a lightning strike took out my 4 x 300 Ah Relions. Dealer suggests Battle Born are more reliable. OTOH, BattleBorn are only 100H vs 300Ah on the Relions. So, 4 vs 12 batteries. Many more connections.

In response to post above, I believe both Relion and Battle Born are of Chinese origin.

Anybody have any actual data, particularly on the claimed better reliability of the Battle Born vs Relions?

Thanksabunch

Interesting as this is my biggest concern going with LFP. And specially dropin LFP as they have the BMS board built in.

Obviously a direct hit will damage a lot. Luckily most lightning strikes are not direct hits.

Do you know what was damaged by the lightning.

Was it the built in BMS ?

Was it the cells ?
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 16:16   #5

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

We had a direct hit.
Not sure what was damaged - 3 of the 4 batteries have been with the dealer now for over a month and we still have no concrete documentation other than a statement that they are all damaged.
Not sure how you would determine this anyway, without swapping out the controller boards? If capacity is reduced could you conclude it is the cells without swapping the boards? 2 out of the 3 reportedly have reduced capacity. The other sounds like a board issue - sudden dropping of load.
But, I am a bear of little brain, perhaps wiser heads will know more.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 23:22   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

There is a good dissection (literally) of the Battleborn battery posted here:

There is also a comparison of Battleborn versus Relion batteries here:
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 16:38   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

I had seen these videos before and the BattleBorn tear down makes them look pretty good. I like that they sell direct and have an agressive support program and long warranty. I have good support from coastalclimatecontrol.com and they sell Relion; having a good reseller helps a lot and they come in different sized and voltages.

If I were buying today I would go with the Battleborn batteries. We put in our seven Firefly Carbon Foam AGMs two years ago and I expect they will last a long time unless there is a catastrophe. By then the options will be different.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote