Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2022, 19:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Best Battery Question

Putting a new bow thruster in my boat which asks for a 400 amp fuse ( not sure of the actual draw) Current setup has 800 amp hour FLA house bank, 2 large FLA starter batteries for the Perkins 6.354 and a third battery up in the bow that is for the windlass This battery in the bow is long dead and has to be replaced. It is connected to the house bank thru an ACR that can supply it up to 80 amps. What battery type and size would be suggested? Alternator is a 70 amp standard Boat has almost 1Kw of solar and D400 wind generator as well as 10 kw diesel generator. Two 110 volt chargers one of 100 amps and one of 40 amps. My thought was to buy two large starter type FLA batts tied together to serve windlass and bow thruster. Am I on the right track?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 20:16   #2

Re: Best Battery Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
.Am I on the right track?
Most definitely, I think FLA would be the best match for this use profile and charging method. As for size, you would need to work out your winch amp hrs required for a recovery and keep that to 20% of battery capacity. Although the thruster is much higher draw its run time is extremely short and intermittent so I'd focus on the winch requirements.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 20:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Re: Best Battery Question

Thanks that reasoning makes sense.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery