Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 18:07   #31

Boat: Allures 44
If you're worried about overloading the genny, can you derate the chargers slightly using the Powerahare function? I think you can do this with a Link controller or similar. Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:53   #32

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: Best Generator

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to go with two 200 watt solar panels plus charge controller in lieu of the generator. The cost, not counting the solar mount, was essentially the same either way.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:01   #33
Eternal Member

Pete,

Good choice.

Assume you're going to hook them up in series and get a good MPPT controller? This arrangement will result in considerably higher output than will parallel-connected panels and a regular solar controller.

Don't skimp on the controller.

Good luck,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:29   #34

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Pete,

Good choice.

Assume you're going to hook them up in series and get a good MPPT controller? This arrangement will result in considerably higher output than will parallel-connected panels and a regular solar controller.

Don't skimp on the controller.

Good luck,

Bill
Thanks. I certainly didn't skimp on the controller. I ordered the Morningstar TriStar MPPT 45 which can handle from nominal 12-48 Volt panels. Tech support at Morningstar advised me to wire in parallel. Maybe I should check back with them? I did start a thread on my solar project here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uck-74521.html

Update: I just spoke with Morningstar and they agreed they should be placed in series. Thanks again
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:31   #35
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
Thanks. I certainly didn't skimp on the controller. I ordered the Morningstar TriStar MPPT 45 which can handle from nominal 12-48 Volt panels. Tech support at Morningstar advised me to wire in parallel. Maybe I should check back with them? I did start a thread on my solar project here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uck-74521.html

Update: I just spoke with Morningstar and they agreed they should be placed in series. Thanks again
Pete
OK, Pete. I was wondering WHICH 200W panels you bought. Some of them these days have an open circuit (OC) voltage of 36V which, when placed in series, would give you 72V. But, the TriStar MPPT 45 can take up to 150VDC OC voltage, so even that wouldn't be a problem.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 21:25   #36

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo

The technology behind ECAT.com - The Official Website of Andrea Rossi's Energy Catalyzer, E-Cat - ECAT can may be scaled down to fit a small vessel. "Refuel" every six months continuous use. And dare I mention LUXURY-sea MIG675 ? No fuel at all, unless it's the biggest jape so far this millennium...
Skipper Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 22:54   #37

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Solo View Post
The technology behind ECAT.com - The Official Website of Andrea Rossi's Energy Catalyzer, E-Cat - ECAT can may be scaled down to fit a small vessel. "Refuel" every six months continuous use. And dare I mention LUXURY-sea MIG675 ? No fuel at all, unless it's the biggest jape so far this millennium...
Wow thanks! I'm gonna run right out and get a cold fusion generator for my boat tomorrow. Why haven't I seen this in Practical Sailor yet? Must be a conspiracy by all those evil scientists to prevent us from having free power forever on our sailboats. I think it's the evil solar panel lobby that's keeping this important research from coming out.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 23:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Wow thanks! I'm gonna run right out and get a cold fusion generator for my boat tomorrow. Why haven't I seen this in Practical Sailor yet? Must be a conspiracy by all those evil scientists to prevent us from having free power forever on our sailboats. I think it's the evil solar panel lobby that's keeping this important research from coming out.
You're closer to the truth than you think. The physics behind the phenomenon has yet to be put into nice equations for "orthodox physics" to take it, but the tech itself has been verified by professors from Uppsala uni. amongst others, and latest NASA (they call it LENR for low-energy nuclear reactions in an obvious move to avoid the restitution of Fleiscmann and Pons). Story @ Pure Energy Systems News (PESN) . Don't forget you saw it here first!
Old 17-01-2012, 23:20   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Some day maybe but not this day. There is yet to be a single, verifiable, successful attempt at cold fusion, money grubbing websites not withstanding.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 00:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Some day maybe but not this day. There is yet to be a single, verifiable, successful attempt at cold fusion, money grubbing websites not withstanding.
Old 18-01-2012, 00:18   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
LOTFLMAO!

Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:18   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
I din't say there weren't lots of folks who believe in conspiracy theories. Why not use a perpetual motion machine to drive your prop?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:17   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I looked at the video and the first screen starts with the energy patents that have been suppressed by the government.

Internet Rule #1. As soon as you see any claims that someone has any product or technology that has been banned/suppressed/hidden/secreted by the government/big oil/car companies/Bill Gates/etc then you should immediately, immediately call BS!!!!
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 18:27   #44

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I have a question regarding size. I am thinking about a honda eu2000 or eu1000. The eu2000 seems to be the most popular but it seems to me that the eu1000 would supply enough power to keep the batteries charged, run a small fridge and some electronics. If I want to run the AC or water heater I think you would need the eu3000. I guess my question is if I want to run LED cabin lights, and a 12v fridge and maybe the radio at anchor would an eu2000 be necessary?
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 18:31   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you want a 2000. the 1000 wont be enough for your needs. i tried the 1000 before i got the 2000--no contest.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator