Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 15:29   #61

Re: Best Generator

Honda vs Yamaha - I'm upgrading my Honda EU1000i, great little unit but too small, the bigger EU2000 WILL run my Heart Freedom 20 in Equalize mode - I've borrowed ne and tried it.

Wise Sales and others have both the Honda and Yamaha 2000's, same price, same output, the Yamaha is slightly smaller and lighter and gets slightly better in-store reviews, but that could be because their profit margin is higher??? Most of what I see in cruising-land is the Honda - anyone have any comment on the Yamaha's long-term prospects?
Kamaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:45   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I haven't had Yamaha engines. I have had Yamaha electronics, and they never aged well. There was always some niggling problem that other makers just never had.

I know, Yamaha has a great rep for high-rpm motorcycle engines and small motors. And that's a different division of the company. Still, I'd go with the Honda.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 15:50   #63

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaloha View Post
Honda vs Yamaha - I'm upgrading my Honda EU1000i, great little unit but too small, the bigger EU2000 WILL run my Heart Freedom 20 in Equalize mode - I've borrowed ne and tried it.

Wise Sales and others have both the Honda and Yamaha 2000's, same price, same output, the Yamaha is slightly smaller and lighter and gets slightly better in-store reviews, but that could be because their profit margin is higher??? Most of what I see in cruising-land is the Honda - anyone have any comment on the Yamaha's long-term prospects?
I've had a Yamaha for over 3 years now, still no problems. No experience to compare with Honda. IMHO, you won't go wrong with either. Here's my Amazon product review Amazon.com: trisailor "trisailor"'s review of Yamaha EF2000iS 2,000 Watt 79cc OHV 4-Stro...
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I haven't had Yamaha engines. I have had Yamaha electronics, and they never aged well. There was always some niggling problem that other makers just never had.

I know, Yamaha has a great rep for high-rpm motorcycle engines and small motors. And that's a different division of the company. Still, I'd go with the Honda.
to be fair, Honda also has a great reputation for motorcycles, and boat motors, and construction motors, and cars, and generators.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 19:55   #65

Boat: csy 37

kamaloha -

just curious. i run my 35 amp charger on my honda 1000 with power to spare. any reason why you're having trouble running a 20?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 20:13   #66

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
kamaloha -

just curious. i run my 35 amp charger on my Honda 1000 with power to spare. any reason why you're having trouble running a 20?
I agree the 1000 should be ample for that use. The 2000 lets you heat water too (using the electric element) or run power tools such as a grinder.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:38   #67

I have been researching generators for awhile now and Yamaha has a huge following in the RV groups because of reliability and standard equipment that Honda doesn't offer or adds to the price, plastic as opposed to metal ect. Many believe that for normal RV's the Yamaha 2400is is best because it will start a 13,500 BTU Air conditioner and the Honda 2000 won't.
Wise has it for about 1200 delivered.
I will end up buying the 2400 myself.
70AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 22:54   #68

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I have a Honda EU2000i, Honda EU1000i and a Yamaha 1000. They all get used about the same and perform great. Have to say I think the Yamaha is slightly more reliable, Honda units are a bit harder to start and run well if they have sat a few months. I use URL stabilizer in them if they are going to sit for awhile, but Yamaha always takes off and runs. I sometimes have to work a bit harder to get the Hondas running smooth with a load.

Can't go wrong with either unit, just see who has better price.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
I have a Honda EU2000i, Honda EU1000i and a Yamaha 1000. They all get used about the same and perform great. Have to say I think the Yamaha is slightly more reliable, Honda units are a bit harder to start and run well if they have sat a few months. I use URL stabilizer in them if they are going to sit for awhile, but Yamaha always takes off and runs. I sometimes have to work a bit harder to get the Hondas running smooth with a load.

Can't go wrong with either unit, just see who has better price.
My Honda 2000 is slow to start sometimes as well.

I have both Honda and Yamaha outboards and the Yamaha seems to use less plastic then Honda does.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06   #70

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Love my Yamaha!

Tags
generator