Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 12:18   #106

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: Best Inverter for the Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I know that the best way to kill your budget is to buy a Xantrex. You will so regret that, I would almost give you the difference with a Sinergex to save you from that. Search CF for the Xantrex problems and the opinions of all the engineer members here. Buying it means loosing the $350.- and warranty does NOT help.

Never ever believe (or even listen to) people who will take your money when you buy the product. They will never tell you what is best for you; only what is best for them. Head the warnings by those here who have nothing to gain financially from whatever you choose!

I have not even heard of Samlex and not much of ProMariner either. To make it simple: Victron, Outback, Mastervolt, Sterling, Sinergex. May be Sterling belongs higher on this list. Start with the first name and check if they have what you need and if it fits the budget. Go to next name if not. If you end with Sinergex and still not suitable, then it is better to end it there. Wait another year or how ever long it takes.

Whenever I am faced with budget constraints, I buy less items, not the same amount of bad or even lesser quality. It's cheaper.

cao!
Nick.
Thanks. I hear you and appreciate the feedback, but I don't think it's black and white. I personally have the Xantrex TrueCharge 2 40 battery charger and it has worked very well. I've read as many reports in favor of the Xantrex as against it. Admittedly it would not be my first choice if money were no object, but that is certainly not the case. I will not be making my final decision until after the solar panels are installed and working so I still have time to consider other choices. If you know of any sources offering good discounts please let me know. Thanks again
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 04:33   #107

Last night I purchased the Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 for $312 at West Marine using online price matching. That's the best of both worlds: great online price and convenience of local store with returns, etc. Yes, I know there were several negative comments about Xantrex (and I appreciate them all), but I've also read numerous positive reviews too. The bottom line is that it seemed the best product in it's price range and this way I get to use it now as opposed to waiting until the budget recovers which could be a long time.

I now plan to do the install in two phases:
  1. Mount inverter and install DC side; use as standalone with extension cord
  2. Install AC wiring and AC transfer switch
Pete
Old 31-01-2012, 04:08   #108

I have now completed the installation of Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 (phase 1). This morning I did a load test. I turned off the battery charger and all DC loads (so that my Victron BMV-600 battery monitor could be used accurately). During a 4 minute test of microwave (just long enough to bake a medium sized potato), the Voltage and power (as read at inverter) stabilized at:
11.8 Volts
1270 watts
While the above readings were being made, the battery monitor read:
11.93 Volts
120.6 amps
which yields 1438.8 watts. The efficiency would then seem to be 88% (ie, 1270/1438.8). The voltage drop was approximately 0.13 Volts (ie, 11.93-11.8) between batteries and inverter. Assuming the stabilized readings over the full 4 minutes that represents approximately 8 Ah of battery consumption. All in all, I'm very pleased with the result. BTW, if it couldn't pass this important test I was prepared to take advantage of West's liberal return policy
Pete
Old 31-01-2012, 15:12   #109
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Oh you want to test it?

switch on microwave + water heater. Test the safeties.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:16   #110

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Save yourself before it's too late!
I started this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...but-52383.html

after buying (and returning a ProWatt 2000) which died immediately.
Before returning it I peeked inside.
The soldering looked like it had been done by a blind drunk from a third world country with a hot nail.

I'm serious. Save yourself some grief and buy a decent unit.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:22   #111
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Save yourself before it's too late!
I started this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...but-52383.html

after buying (and returning a ProWatt 2000) which died immediately.
Before returning it I peeked inside.
The soldering looked like it had been done by a blind drunk from a third world country with a hot nail.

I'm serious. Save yourself some grief and buy a decent unit.
Yes, I tried to warn him but warnings from engineers can't beat the salesmen

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 07:04   #112

As an update, my Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 inverter continues to work flawlessly. Our 420 watts of solar panels have allowed lots of inverter use while cruising. Now that I have some time, I will start phase 2 which is the installation of transfer switch and associated wiring.
Old 28-09-2012, 17:49   #113

Boat: Able 50

I'm now on my third Xantrex Prosine 2000. No I'm not a glutton for punishment, they keep on coming with the boats I buy.

The new one will no doubt blow up in due course. Already it wets its pants if left on when I get off the boat. Once the charge current gets down to zero it clicks loudly while looking for more current. Eventually it totally shuts down and will not restart without a reboot which means crawling into the engine room and reaching into the unit itself. Working at the control panel achieves nothing.

Why can't it quietly go into standby like all the others do ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 12:08   #114

Does this mean the inverter is IN the engine room?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 18:26   #115

Boat: Able 50

It sure is. It shares a locker with the start batteries and I have to lie on the floor and reach between the unit and the batteries to the back of the charger where the reboot switch is. All the Xantrex units have the same switch.

Total pain in the butt. It means I have to remember to turn off the charger every time I get off the boat lest I do the engine room crawl.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter